TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Not-A-VW-Club Fall Color Tour
jaransonT3 Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:44 pm

Our little group of VW enthusiasts here in SE Michigan went on a little Fall Color Tour today....kind of a last hurrah before SALT season. It was quite chilly with a high of only 45F and it was overcast with occasional drizzle (this is October in SE Michigan after all), but the Fall colors were still fantastic. The hot apple cider and fresh warm donuts at Jenny's Cider Mill at the end of the run were delicious and took the chill off from driving nearly 75 miles in a car without heat.

We only had 6 VWs make all or most of the tour, but half of them were Type 3s. We were a Notchback short of having the whole Type 3 family represented. I drove Sophy, my 1966 Squareback; Jill drove for 1967 Type 34 Karman Ghia, and Greg and Ryan Sanchez had their 1973 Fastback out.

It was a good day. Here are few pictures of our Type 3s out in the Autumn colors...

and a shot of the whole group...

Mike Fisher Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 pm

All the VW's probably appreciated getting exercised one more time before their winter hibernation! 8)

Typ3nut Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Few more photos ...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?..._terms=all
The Color Tour was a wonderful drive, awesome cider & donuts at Jenny's Cider Mill. Always fun running with the Type 3 crowd !

eyetzr Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Looks nice guys & gals.

jaransonT3 Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:18 am

I got a little video montage from the Color Tour edited and uploaded.  The battery in hte video camera died about half through the tour so this is only the first half or so.....the part without any rain. <G>

All shot from Jill's Type 34 Ghia.

Enjoy.

Bobnotch Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:05 am

Very cool video John. Lots of lovely colors on the trees. I ws going to comment on how dry it was in the south eastern part of the state, until you mentioned the battery dieing in the camera before it started raining. That was our saturday, rain.

Rome Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Nice going with the Type 3s in the mild rain for the drive, John.

I like the green '73 Fasty alot! Are those the hard-to-find Porsche 914 5.5" ET40 wheels, and 185/65 tires? The badge on the front fenders reminds me of the old Nuerburgring German race track logo...

On the same day I was also participating in a foliage cruise here in southern NY, though there was not a single Type 3 among the ca. 25 ACVWs. I drove my green '77 Beetle, which is the only one of my 4 ACVWs that's on the road. My dark green '70 Fasty is still sitting with a sick engine... Weather here was overcast but no rain. Foliage colors were similar to your area's.

Typ3nut Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:07 pm

Rome wrote: Nice going with the Type 3s in the mild rain for the drive, John.

I like the green '73 Fasty alot! Are those the hard-to-find Porsche 914 5.5" ET40 wheels, and 185/65 tires? The badge on the front fenders reminds me of the old Nuerburgring German race track logo...

On the same day I was also participating in a foliage cruise here in southern NY, though there was not a single Type 3 among the ca. 25 ACVWs. I drove my green '77 Beetle, which is the only one of my 4 ACVWs that's on the road. My dark green '70 Fasty is still sitting with a sick engine... Weather here was overcast but no rain. Foliage colors were similar to your area's.

Rome,
Thanks !
Yes, those are the 914 steel wheels and 185/65 front & 205/65 rear tires.
Also, the Nurburgring (Green Hell) Emblems in honor of the Track, 'Ring Racers and a dedication to James Dean's "Little Bastard" as these were the same emblem's on the car he drove to his tragic death.

Here's a few more photos from the Tour ...Enjoy !
http://www.ypsiisbeautiful.com/?p=213