TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cost of new white dash parts 67' type 1?
moab762 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:43 pm

How much would it cost to convert a 67' black dash trim type 1 into a 67' white dash trim type 1? I know the 67' had alot of one off parts. Not sure if any of the dash components are one offs. Or what can be found easily in original or aftermarket. Does not have to be perfect parts. But serviceable with no damage would be sufficient.

I'd want to switch out:

Steering wheel and column. (Or is it cheaper to have the column taken out and painted?)
Knobs.
Handle above glove box.
Center heater vent rubber. (Does that even come white? Will have to look over some pics.)
Window crank on the panels.
Straps for getting into back seat above and behind door. Don't know the proper term.

What else is black that needs changing to white? I basically want to change a black interior to white.

I know the cost of an interior (headliner, panels, seat covers, carpet.) Just not sure about the cost of dash components. Original does not matter to me as long as it looks original. Which ever is cheapest. I.E. - aftermarket or original.

Thanks for any help. I tried searching this. But nothing came up. If I missed an earlier post. My apologies.

moab762 Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Answering some of my own questions here. It looks like the steering wheel and maybe column are the high cost items here. Everything else looks pretty cheap after market.

What about the column? Is that a bitch to get out to paint?

grandpa pete Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Colum can be sprayed in car ; several threads on restoring steering wheels yourself and while that's out you can spray directional signal switch......never seen a white defrost vent....plastic can be sprayed with hobby store paint.....knobs available WW

WHY ????

moab762 Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:05 pm

grandpa pete wrote: Colum can be sprayed in car ; several threads on restoring steering wheels yourself and while that's out you can spray directional signal switch......never seen a white defrost vent....plastic can be sprayed with hobby store paint.....knobs available WW

WHY ????

Looking at a bug to buy. But I don't like the interior color and the interior is shot. However it does have a sunroof and every thing else I want. Small price to pay IMHO. You have to sacrifice someplace in this day and age of looking for that perfect bug. And interior is the easiest and cheapest for me.