TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stopping = dying
Snillies Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi all! The new problem on the 66 bug I have with a 1600cc is that it has started dying when I come to a stop. It cranks back up wonderfully at least! I am assuming a vacuum leak but I'm not sure where to poke around first. Suggestions and troubleshooting help please!

FritzCP Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:31 pm

blow out your idle jet first.

if that doesnt cure it, spray carb cleaner around each intake joint while running at low rpm. any change in running (carb cleaner will choke out that cylinder) and you have your leak. also spray the throttle shaft of the carb as a possible cause. my guess is idle jet if it just started all the sudden.

grandpa pete Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Get a can of starter fluid and spray it around your carb ; when the engine revs up you found your leak .

Idle adjusted ok ??

Eric&Barb Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Do a tune up first.

Snillies Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Adjusted the carb. And is running perfect. Thanks for the help!

Eric&Barb Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:32 pm

Good job!

Thanks for the update.

rcroane Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Yep, I was having the same issue. Fuel mixture (too rich) was the culprit.

lenaphillips Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:49 pm

I've been having this issue with my 66 lately as well, only the problem seemed to be that I was burning through coils like crazy. When I go to stop completely, the bug dies if I don't press the accelerator. Changed the coil, everything was good. Until today when it decided to test my patience. The coil is no longer the problem, it seems to be the electronic distributor.