TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Change out Booster&Master Cyl w/o removing dash?
dixoncj Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Is it at all possible? (91 Westy) I'm up to challenges. But Gawd, I don't wanna take off my dashboard. I might add, I've done a master cylinder before w/o removing dash (doable), but the booster looks like it will add a tasty challenge.

rubbachicken Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 pm

i think it can be done, there's really nothing to be afraid of removing the dash,it'd be a good time to tidy up PO's messy wiring, glean the grounds, insulate the front end, be sure that your heater matrix and fan are in good health.

personally i'd not consider even trying to do the job without taking out the dash

but i've taken 20 or more dashes out in the last year, for various reasons

rcook52459 Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm

I did it.youremove the instrument cluster.4 phipp up screws.not hard.use some flare nut wrenches so not to round off brake lines.think 2 13 mm nuts holds master cyl .

Michael4104 Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:40 pm

rcook52459 wrote: I did it.youremove the instrument cluster.4 phipp up screws.not hard.use some flare nut wrenches so not to round off brake lines.think 2 13 mm nuts holds master cyl .

He's replacing the booster also.
The booster has four nuts holding it in place. The clutch/brake assembly has four bolts holding it in place along with two brake line, one clutch fluid line, two wires and one vacuum line.
I just had mine out to replace a broken clutch clevice rod. Never seen that before. Anyway I would think it would be a hard task with the dash in place, or a tough row to hoe as we say in the South.

dixoncj Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm

I shoulda added that I have an automatic. That make it any easier?

boof1306 Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 pm

I have done two with dash in place. If you have the right tools and skills no problems.