TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Squeaky front end! any solutions?
anthonycanchola Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:13 am

So I have a super squeaky front end . It squeaks when I turn the steering wheel left or right, what the heck is squeaking? ? And what can I do to solve this annoying issue? Spray it down with wd40? :lol:
If you guys have solutions or even an idea I'd like to hear it!

ThingBeast Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 am

i bet it your red polyurethane bushing and actually any component made of that cheap red material. You need to remove the control arms and go to SACO Performance.com and buy the correct set of delrin bushings. They won't squeek at all.

anthonycanchola Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:12 am

Daum lol sounds like I have something to look into.
Is it dangerous? And long term effects?

ThingBeast Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

Its not that its dangerous, just that polyurethane squeaks after some time. I'd get under the front end and see if that's what's being used on the beam. I too did the same mistake when I was replacing my beam. I did some research and before I got the control arms on, I replaced the brand new polyurethane bushings with delrin ones. If you do some research, you will find that they were made specifically for sand rails with very lite front ends. They were not meant to be used with a normal heavy front end. You have the gas tank right over the beam add additional weight when the tank is full. If you don't believe me, call Airkewld, those guys are great! They have vw suspensions down to a science. I called them and they explained how everything works (lengthy conversation at that) and I never even bought anything from them at the moment. The red bushing because of the material they are made from, they give, will make the control arms sag inside the beam not giving you a true centered fit. Delrin won't do that but stay true and round. I know I'm going to get blistered by others for trashing the red polyurethane bushing, but its just my 2 cents worth. Do what you'd like, its your car... :)

glutamodo Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 pm

The thing I'm questioning here is that ThingBeast is talking about suspension bushings, (and yes, I certainly agree, I'll never use anything with red urethane) but those affect up/down movement (like on bumps) but anthony is talking about moving the steering wheel side to side and getting squeaking. Yes the suspension may shift a little bit doing that, but only a little. I'd suspect something else - steering box issue, tie rod end or ball joint issue or even a buggered up steering dampener. I'd have a buddy or buddette sit in the car while you lay down at the front of the car, with ears wide open, and have them move the steering wheel back and forth while you try to pinpoint just where the squeak, or squeaks, are coming from.

-Andy