TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Leap Frogging - Tripping in sections
vanagonjr Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am

As someone regulated to limited time away from work, I am playing with the idea of what I'll term "leap frogging". That is traveling in one direction. Storing the van, flying home, and then returning at a later time for the return trip, or to push on to the next destination.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has done this, knows someone who has done this or has given this approach some thought

I recently met a business owner who is planning a x-country trip and leaving the van with their son in CA. The son is going to take it up to Alaska. The owners (Mom & Dad) will fly into Alaska and trek around. I assume the son will fly back and pilot it back to CA, or perhaps they will.

I am on the ocean on the East coast and I likely have a place in Chicago, which I can reach on a weekend drive. That allows me to take a 2-week trip out west and save 4 to 5 days of just travel which would eat into the 2-weektime span. Also, I likely have the option of then leaving the van in WY for a winter, since it is only going to be stored here anyways.

rubbachicken Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:43 am

it's a very cool idea, i have a friend who does it with a sailing yacht in the Mediterranean
a friend of my dad's in england is part of an RV share , they swap RV's in different countries for a period of time, they've swapped with people in canada, new zealand and australia, 2 to 3 months at a time.
i don't know if it's something the vanagon community would be interested in doing, i would be, but we can't take the time out, and i need lucy as she's my work van.

djkeev Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

Huh!

My wife and I had this very conversation a few Months ago.

We both work seasonally........ Sadly, she teaches so her season is School, I am involved in a Children's Camp which operates in the Summer when School is Out!!!

Our overlap is two - three weeks

We've got family and Friends scattered across the Nation.

Drive "X" far, leave the Van, fly home.
From previous trip experience, You really need six weeks to have a good trip across the USA and back. I don't have that time block.

I talked to my Brother in Crescent City Ca. If we drive out and flew home, would he be interested in bringing the Van back to Jersey?
Admittedly there are very FEW people I'd make this offer to!

I would NOT even consider leaving the Camper with my Daughter in Great Falls Montana for her Husband would destroy it! Innocently most likely....... but he is extremely hard on mechanical devices!

It is a viable idea, but you need a safe haven for the unit.

I'm not sure that I want to park my unit for a year where there aren't any updates done, maintenence done, or Fall weekend camping trips possible.

Dave

vanagonjr Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

djkeev wrote:

Both places I am thinking of would be safe havens for sure. One place might even be better inside storage than I use for winter now!

candyman Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:41 pm

djkeev wrote: Huh!

My wife and I had this very conversation a few Months ago.

We both work seasonally........ Sadly, she teaches so her season is School, I am involved in a Children's Camp which operates in the Summer when School is Out!!!

Our overlap is two - three weeks

We've got family and Friends scattered across the Nation.

Drive "X" far, leave the Van, fly home.
From previous trip experience, You really need six weeks to have a good trip across the USA and back. I don't have that time block.

I talked to my Brother in Crescent City Ca. If we drive out and flew home, would he be interested in bringing the Van back to Jersey?
Admittedly there are very FEW people I'd make this offer to!

I would NOT even consider leaving the Camper with my Daughter in Great Falls Montana for her Husband would destroy it! Innocently most likely....... but he is extremely hard on mechanical devices!

I'm not sure that I want to park my unit for a year where there aren't any updates done, maintenence done, or Fall weekend camping trips possible.

Dave

Im in missoula, you could always leave it with me ;)

davideric9 Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:07 pm

My wife just did this over the summer. She was following her son on the Pacific Crest Trail, doing provision resupply. At times she would come home, via Air or Greyhound. A few times she left the van at a mechanic to have work done, like oil change or check out leaks. Finding a good place for the van was very important to her. Anyway, not really what you are after, but it did work well for her. Only left the van for a week or two at a time.

IdahoDoug Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I've thought of this as well, because I would love to explore the Canadian eastern maritime area which is an insane drive just to get to. I was wondering about the practicality of calling one of those self storage facilities people leave furniture and crap, renting a place for the van, and then continuing the trip later. Those places are a dime a dozen and the van is secure and out of the weather for cheap money. Since its inside you could even leave considerable gear in it without risk. Like if you were traveling with bikes or kayaks you just pull them off and put them in the storage unit as well - or get a big RV stall and leave them on the roof. Take a taxi to the airport, and you're gone. Come back, reconnect the battery (which may be on one of those $20 trickle chargers) and you're in the Van adventuring in an hour. The van's got your gear in it right down to swim shorts, your tools, spare parts and a cooler ready to be filled.

I think leapfrogging is a great idea.

vanagonjr Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:38 am

IdahoDoug wrote: I've thought of this as well, because I would love to explore the Canadian eastern maritime area which is an insane drive just to get to. .

I like to explore Idaho area which is an insane drive just to get to. :lol:
Quebec has at least one place that store huge amounts of Westies (West in quebec speak BTW) in warehouse for the winter. If you are interested, I can try and track down the place for you. Alternatively, if my van proves rock solid after a season running the engine conversion, we can do a Van exchange share like RubbaChicken mentioned!

IdahoDoug Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:28 pm

I'd consider that, though I think we'd both have to discuss and accept the dubious arrangement of letting a perfect stranger take our 25 year old antique German vans for the longest drives of their lives. And my wife might question my sanity as well!! Heh...

We have done more insane things, however. Like when we towed our boat from here in Idaho to Maine and lived on it for 6 weeks. Along the ocean shore...

djkeev Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Swapping vehicles can work.

My Brother has a Cape Dory Sailboat, they were made from 1963-1996. They are now all antiques or classics.

He is in the PNW and spends The Summers sailing Alaska.

Through a forum they met a UK couple online and they worked out a swap.

UK came and sailed the PNW, my brother flew to the UK and sailed the Isle of Man.

No problems, no one wrecked or sunk a boat!

It's only stuff.

Dave