TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for... but can't find... INFO '68 disc brake
kevlarian Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:26 am

So, I really want to convert my front brakes (1968 Bay) to Disc. There are a ton of conversion kits for nearly all makes and years, but I can't seem to find any for the 1968 Bay Type 2.

My Bug Mechanic said that the 71 Bay was the first to come with front Disc. He indicated that the front was nearly a direct replacement for my front. Has anyone done this mod, or does anyone have additional advice.

I have to say, my brakes SUCK ARSE! I am hoping the mechanic can tighten them up a bit, but otherwise, I would like to look at doing a front conversion.

Thanks!

aeromech Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 am

Hi there,
I've never converted an early bay to disk brakes but have installed a power brake booster on a 1968. The brakes work way better. You cannot just swap the whole front beam from a 1971 to a 1968. They won't bolt together. You could swap out some of the other parts though but then you'd be left with wide five wheels in the back and the smaller five wheels in the front. I suggest you consider doing the booster mod instead. Not too hard and your bus will maintain its original look.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511636&highlight=brakes

jtauxe Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:34 am

Please edit your post title so that people have some clue about what it is you are looking for. You may find more help that way.

Brian Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:14 pm

wagenwest has some kits for early bays. there is a write up on it in the split window forum.

Egorspyle65 Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I have the wagenswest kit on the front of my 68 bay. Was on there when I bought it and has dropped spindle also. Good setup though and. Uses wilwood brake parts. It's the baby stang kit so you can run 14s if you want to.

Abscate Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 am

Quote: You cannot just swap the whole front beam from a 1971 to a 1968. They won't bolt together.

Is this right? I moved put a 71 axle beam onto a 69 back in the 80s when the 69 rotted out. Is the 68 different?

aeromech Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:57 am

Is the 68 different?

Yes it is

vwcanuck Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:11 am

That's a nice 68 you have kevlarian.

In another post you mentioned that the PO had rebuilt the brakes a couple of years ago ... and now they "suck arse" as you say. Are you sure that all of the other components, master cylinder, lines, brake cylinders, pads and star adjusters, are in top working condition and adjusted properly? It would be a shame to spend the time and money converting to discs up front and find that your master cylinder is pooched or that your star adjusters weren't adjusted properly.

The reason why I mention this is that I rebuilt my 68's brakes last year and they work awesome! I tried some emergency stops and I was impressed with how well the drum brakes on all four corners stopped the bus. I hope you go through the brake system on your bus and start with the easy stuff.

richparker Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:39 am

I agree that the 4 non powered drum brakes aren't as great as a power disc brake set up, but I wouldn't says they "suck arse." Like posted above how's the condition of your brake system? I DD a 68' in the mountains of SW colorado with a big engine and and I don't have a problem with my brakes. I keep them well tuned and usually adjust them every 1500 miles or so. Maybe you need to adjust yours and put our foot into it when stopping.

djdh68dlux Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

kevlarian wrote: There are a ton of conversion kits for nearly all makes and years, but I can't seem to find any for the 1968 Bay Type 2.
:? :roll:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bus_brake/disc_brake_CSP.cfm

richparker wrote: I agree that the 4 non powered drum brakes aren't as great as a power disc brake set up, but I wouldn't says they "suck arse." Like posted above how's the condition of your brake system? I DD a 68' in the mountains of SW colorado with a big engine and and I don't have a problem with my brakes. I keep them well tuned and usually adjust them every 1500 miles or so. Maybe you need to adjust yours and put our foot into it when stopping.

I agree with this ^^^^^^^