TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bay area motor builder needed
ridge racer Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 am

I have a type 1 that needs to be gone thru.
The motor was built by DRD and has never been right. I now see that after 300 miles it has alot of end play and the pully keeps coming loose.
Any recomendations for a good builder?
Thanks

bluebus86 Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:53 am

Ken Jansen of Jansen Enterprises in Belmont, (Harbor Blvd, right off the 101 exit (south bond exit only, else take Ralston if your coming from the south)

Phone 650 622-9785

Ken has built some nice motors for 3 of my VW's He is reasonably priced, and knows his stuff, from a 1100 cc stocker to a 2.4 liter monster motor, Ken does it. He has also built some motors for some friends with excellent results.

He is busy, so if he don't call you back right away, call again or simply drop in.

I highly recommend him, expert VW engine builder, and his prices are good.

stan_tichomirov Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:03 am

Ken's the man, but I'll second him being busy, you may have to wait. If you are near, I would just show up to talk to him in person.

Stan

midtravelmidengine Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:42 pm

ridge racer wrote: I have a type 1 that needs to be gone thru.
The motor was built by DRD and has never been right. I now see that after 300 miles it has alot of end play and the pully keeps coming loose.
Any recomendations for a good builder?
Thanks

Make DRD fix it. Unless the 300 miles has been over 10 years. :D

Seriously though, please explain the reason for not going back to the original builder to correct his mistake? Surely there is a warrenty?

ridge racer Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:15 pm

With out going into too much detail, the DRD built 2276 has been back to Darren three times now and every time the flywheel has come loose at start up and did damage to a brand new motor.
The original build did it at install and first run.
Same thing the second time & now the third and final time.
When I picked up the motor the third time, Darren made me sign AS IS NO WARANTY.
So in short, I paid well over $7k for a motor that I’ve never been able to use.
This has me so turned off that my buggy has just sat for 3 years.
I'm over the whole motor issue with DRD and I don't have any hard feelings.
But I won't be giving DRD any more of my business.

I'm now wanting to get it up and running so my 16 year old son can use it.
Thanks for the help.