TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior choices to make
bluebullseye Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:03 am

I have my '72 Square in Kasen Red that will be going to the paint shop within the month. It has the stock black interior (only option that year). I've gone back and forth on staying with black or lightening it up. I'm not worried about being totally stock. I'm considering the Salt & Pepper carpet with off white basketweave (TMI) seats and door panels.

I've searched and haven't found too many red SB's with the white interior but have found some old Bugs with this color scheme.

Anyone have any photos of VW interiors with this combo? Any thoughts on going away from the black?

Mike Fisher Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:11 am

My red '67 square has a creme off white interior.

bluebullseye Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:26 am

Hi Mike, do you have any photos of the interior? I started clicking through your Photobucket but there was a lot on there!

Mike Fisher Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:00 pm

I am taking them out because they are sold! 8)

Tram Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 pm

bluebullseye wrote: I have my '72 Square in Kasen Red that will be going to the paint shop within the month. It has the stock black interior (only option that year). I've gone back and forth on staying with black or lightening it up. I'm not worried about being totally stock. I'm considering the Salt & Pepper carpet with off white basketweave (TMI) seats and door panels.

I've searched and haven't found too many red SB's with the white interior but have found some old Bugs with this color scheme.

Anyone have any photos of VW interiors with this combo? Any thoughts on going away from the black?

Kasan Red Squares are tough to find, and yes, the only OE interior for that color was black. I bought one of these cars in 1977 with 37K miles on it and dealer A/C. Even then Kasan Red on a Square was pretty scarce. I'd love to find another one someday.

Mike Fisher Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:33 pm

These brown '70 seats I just shipped to SoCal.

bluebullseye Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 am

Tram: I didn't know about the rarity of the Kasen Red until after I bought the car a year ago then knew I had to keep it the original color, or I might have gone to a lighter color. Can't wait to get that fresh paint on her.

Mike: Brown seats is an intriguing option. Hadn't thought about that. Maybe with Oatmeal carpet and matching brown door and kickpanels.

BSQUARE Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:25 pm

73 had a grey interior option for Iberian Red cars.
That color combo looks really good, in my opinion.

bluebullseye Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm looking at a brown interior option now, seat surfaces in a light and side skirts and backing in chocolate, brown carpet. Thought that would look good with the red and not as contrasty as white on red.

vwfye Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 am

I would consider a light gray interior with the red.