TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing the dashpad
bluebullseye Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:13 am

How hard is it to remove and replace the dashpad in the T3 SB? Does the windshield have to come out?

What do you do about the VIN plate attached to the original dashpad?

eyetzr Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:24 am

There have been a few posts on dash pad replacement. Use search. Windshield does not have to come out. Speedo & clock, fuel gauge need to come out. They have a spring clip holding them. You will need small hands, reach up & squeeze the tabs in & push out. Remove trim on bottom edge & remove screws. The vin plate will need to be riveted to the new pad. It has a couple of cone shaped washers in the foam. Post some pictures

TMI Products Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:43 am

Also the grab handle must be removed. Remove the glove box and get the 2 10mm nuts from the handle.

squaretobehip Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:06 pm

It's a lot easier with the windshield out.

Bobnotch Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:39 pm

squaretobehip wrote: It's a lot easier with the windshield out.

Since he's got a 71 and later, pulling the windshield isn't needed. The front edge of the pad tucks into a channel, to hold it in place (why the repop pads you guys sell fits so well on those cars, as it's designed for the later dash). You'll have a screw in each corner, plus those along the front lower edge of the pad (under the trim on both sides), along with having to pull the gauges and grab handle (access is by removing the glove box). To install it, let it sit out in the sun to warm up and soften up first. Dave Pallo did a great write up for installing the dash pad into the later cars. It might be worth doing a search for it, as his turned out fantastic (I've seen it in person).
I hope this helps.

asesapie Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm

It's pretty easy to replace the dash with the windshield in. I have done it on my '69 SB and didn't have to many issues. The part that sucked most was removing the gauges.