TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Troubleshoot Starting 1600 Single Port
kevlarian Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:51 am

I have a strong suspicion on what the answer IS, but I want to reach out to the greater community.

My 68 Bus starts just fine when it is cold (actually fires up very nice), but when the engine is hot and I shut it down, it is very difficult to start (turns over very slow and requires quite a while to get it to start).

Today, it actually didn't even try to turn over after running for about 10 minutes. I had to wait about 60 minutes to let the engine cool down, then the starter actually turned over. It wasn't even ATTEMPTING to turn over 2 mins after I shut it down.

I had a similar problem with one of my Motorcycles, and a quick replacement of the starter resolved the problem. Similar symptoms/it started great when cold, but when the engine got hot, it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start the engine. Replaced with a used starter, and it worked flawlessly.

What do you think? Should I just replace the starter? Is it rebuild-able, or just ditch it. Is there a 'better' aftermarket starter I should consider?

aeromech Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Well it's just hard to say. Here's a list of what it might be.

1) Starter
2) Starter bushing (ask if you don't know)
3) Battery ground and/or transmission nose ground (ask if you don't know)
4) Ignition switch

There's probably more too. Next time it does this slide under the bus and using a screw driver, crank the starter. Be sure and be out of gear so you don't kill yourself. If you don't know how, just ask.

kevlarian Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:34 am

Thanks for the advice! I believe I found a bit more advice on my troubles, here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581254

I'll get under the bus and start looking at things this weekend.

aeromech Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:39 am

Yes, this is a subject brought up all the time. Steve did a great job on that thread detailing the process to go through and explaining how it all works.