TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rzr coil-overs for sand rail.
Kenneth83 Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:52 pm

So I blew out a coil-over shock on my rail. I have found, and addressed what I believe to be the cause. But now I need new shocks (the ones on there are....I dunno what they are!)

So my father-in-law gave me his Rzr take-offs, and I figure...why not? So I wanted to see what all of you thought. (particularly you dustymojave!!)
Pictures of the rail and rzr take-off shocks are below. Mounting and fab are not a problem, I`ve got plenty of experience there, what I do not have as much experience in is suspension.

The overall length of the shocks are 23", stroke is 5" with a 1" rubber stop in there.

The rail is already set up for coil-overs (no torsion bars).

KrAzY-BaJa Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:08 pm

as long as the spring will hold it up.

77charger Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 am

the weight should be close on the razor and the rail they usually weigh atleast 1k that rail should be real close too

Kenneth83 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:26 pm

The weight of both rigs are very close. I just was unsure how the stroke of the shock related to overall suspension travel, or if it is even one in the same. I would definitely have to put a hoop in the frame to accommodate the 23" shocks (the ones on there are like 15" or so), but if these shocks will work, I`m ok with that.

petrol punk Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:51 pm

I would question whether the spring rate and damping would be right. I imagine they are in the ballpark since the vehicle weights are the same. But I would hate to fab up some shock mounts, throw 'em on, find myself dissatisfied with the results, and end up switching to different shocks that need new mounts anyways.

WrRider Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 am

Its been along time since I have measured the travail of swing axle but i thank 5" will limit your travail. What is the stroke of your old shocks? They look to be short

QurtysLyn Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:15 pm

WrRider wrote: Its been along time since I have measured the travail of swing axle but i thank 5" will limit your travail. What is the stroke of your old shocks? They look to be short

8.5" of travel on the back of our Class 9.

Kenneth83 Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm

The stroke of the old shocks are very short... Like 3 1/2". I always just figured this thing is built for screaming through the dunes and playing in the bowls...it is a LOT of fun in the big bowls. But it definitely does not like rough terrain.

Kenneth83 Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:39 pm

UPDATE:
So the RZR shocks will not work, the eyelets are not right. Looks like Heim joint eyelets are required on these SA coil-over set ups. Also the length of these shocks are kinda overkill for sand.

Now I`m looking for a for a short, like 16" non-reservoir type coil-over with like 4-5 inches of travel.

Or whatever else may work. Anybody have any ideas?

For kicks, here`s a picture of the repair that got me back to camp at Pismo: