TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brand names of tools Page: 1, 2  Next
Digger89L Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm

What were the 'brand names' of tools used in the tool kits of the 50's and 60's VW's ? I'm familiar with the Hazet name ...were there others? If the tools were not marked with full name, are there certain symbols or initials to watch for? I want to try to assemble an 'authentic' kit of original tools, but not really sure what to look for, exactly. Thanks for any help.

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Ask in the actual topic
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357521

Eric&Barb Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Would need more data! :wink:

There were spare tire tool kits from the factory in each VW.

Hazet spare tire tool kits that were after market.

VW dealers had special tools to work on the ACVWs.

There are even blueprints for any VW dealer to have shop tools manufactured locally.

Left click on the "Technical" button at upper right of this website page. Next page it takes you scroll down to the "VW Tools" column on the left side.

Lots of nifty need to know info in all those buttons. Do feel free to go exploring thru them. Enjoy!

Digger89L Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Sorry, guys. I searched but couldn't find any links to tools. Checked there now. It will be very helpful. Thanks

Digger89L Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Digger89L wrote: Sorry, guys. I searched but couldn't find any links to tools. Checked there now. It will be very helpful. Thanks

Not much useful info on that Tech link ...those are all Special Service Tools ...but did find interesting info on the forum thread. However, still not much detail about 'brand names' ...

Rome Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:07 pm

It appears you are asking about the tools that came with each car in the tool bag, am I right?

In theSamba gallery there is this photo of a 1960 Beetle tool kit-

I know I have some pliers exactly like those, but could not find them in the usual places. I have one more place to check but can only get to it this weekend. But while looking in the depths of the old tool cabinet which my dad had since the early 1960's, I found a flat-tip screwdriver shaped exactly like the long one in the photo above. It's made by Hahn & Kolb, a large German tool supplier based in Stuttgart. Item 4389 as stamped into the shank next to the name. It's 215mm long overall (8.5") with its shank being 115mm long. The handle's paint color is a dark blue, much darker than that which Hazet used on their tools. There are also some other digits stamped into both opposing sides of the wooden handle on mine, but they are mostly unreadable due to the layers of paint. The tool is quite lightweight, indicating only light duty such as adjusting the carb screws, or at most, the brake shoe adjusters.

I don't know if all tools in an original vehicle tool kit would've contained tools from one single supplier, or mixed. For example, the 2-sided open end wrench in the above kit- I know I also have one like that, and even though I can't find it now either, I'm nearly certain its supplier name is Stahlwille.

I'd imagine that original VW tools have a micro-world of experts here among theSamba, but I'm not one at all. Hope I could help you along.

Eric&Barb Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Digger89L wrote:
Not much useful info on that Tech link ...those are all Special Service Tools ...but did find interesting info on the forum thread. However, still not much detail about 'brand names' ...

Hey, no need to be sorry!

Still not sure which tools you are looking for.

Digger89L Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Like I said in my original post: looking for info on the tools that came in the original tool roll that came as standard equipment with the cars .....as some others have posted here.

Info: the combination wheel lug / spark plug tube socket (any ID info stamped on these??); the 'linesman' pliers (any brand name, or symbol, or number stamped on these? length??); the double-ended screw driver, philips and flat (any names stamped on the handle? what year did they switch to plastic from wooden handle?); the short, 14mm socket (what's it for, really, and is there any ID stamp on it. And, of course, the 8mm / 13mm open-end wrench. Mine has the Hazet name on it, but were other brands used as well?

The hubcap puller is a 'given' ...don't expect to see an imprint on it. BTW ..I fashioned my own out of a peg-board hanger. Its about the same (I think) guage of metal, and works well. And the 'tommy bar' is usually with the car if the jack is there ...however, there appear to be 4 or 5 different bar lengths. Not sure what that is all about.

Eric&Barb Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Well you wrote just "Tool Kits" so was not certain.

The "Owners Manuals" are a good reference for the tools per year, though not totally absolutely correct always.

The double open end wrench and jack are the only one that have a manufacture name right on it, and often VW had more than one supplier of parts. So not unusual for parts from different manufactures to be used on same day.

panicman Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 am

The link that Volkswagenut left in his reply is the best thread I found. I put a tool roll together for my 60. I had to watch the classifieds to piece it together bit by bit, and I made my own roll out of vinyl that closely matches my interior (although that is strictly speaking a no-no.)

I am still watching for pliers....

I'll have to check the tools carefully for markings. I know the double ended wrench I found is a hazet.

It is getting trickier to find these tools. Especially the screwdrivers.

Digger89L Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:13 am

Yes, that's my plan as well. I've been going to yard sales, etc. and found the spark plug / lug nut socket at one ...people didn't even know what it was: just another old tool from grandpa's tool box. I suspect that's where most of them ended up ...in the garage tool box, rather than back in the car. Then when I got a parts car, just for fun, I stuck a magnet down behind a front fender (where the heat hose hooks up) and snagged another spark plug / lug nut socket! Go figure!! I can imagine a previous owner wondering what the heck that rattle was all about!

iowegian Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

I have the tool kit from my '66 Beetle (August 1965 build). I believe it is original to the car.
The pouch (just a bag with no dividers) is dark gray unbacked pebbled vinyl with a fabric backed platinum tie strap. The bag stitching is white.

I am missing the little 14mm socket.

The black pliers have no markings.

The lug nut/spark plug socket---- no markings.

The 8mm/13mm open end wrench (5 inches long) is marked "HAZET" (underlined) V-10.

The black plastic handled reversible screwdriver is marked "DBGM" and
"S.L. W.GERMANY" in the fluted grasp.

No markings on the straight bar (7 1/2 inches long) or the hub cap puller.

tasb Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:27 pm

On a 1966 beetle the small socket would be 13 mm not 14mm. The change came in 1960, I think? The alloys of the metals used in these was different between the 13 and 14 mm, as well.

I have a 13 mm x 8 mm wrench marked "Walters" and "W. Germany" in one of my kits.

Digger89L Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:35 pm

My 1966 owner's manual (dated August 1965) on page 75 lists the small socket wrench as being 14 mm. Does anyone know what this is designed to be used for? Where are the common 14 mm bolts/nuts?

panicman Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:29 am

I put mine together using the 1960 owner manual:

My pliers are not original, and I made the vinyl case. Other than the jack and the wrench, no tools are marked with a brand or code that I can find. 1960 still came with a double end open wrench that was 12mm and 8 mm.

Digger89L Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:28 am

So, those early tool rolls came with an 8mm/12mm open-end wrench, not an 8mm/13mm one. Interesting ...I wonder why? Also, the earlier kits had two flat-blade screwdrivers, not a double-end one with a flat-blade and a Philips? What does the 0.8 and 0.5 sizing mean ...not inches, right?? When I replace the original black seat covers on my car, I guess I could use the back of one of the front seat's old material to make a tool roll.

Digger89L Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Picked up a German screwdriver. 6.5" long, with shaft inserted in black plastic handle. Handle says: Felo W.Germany and Wechselgriff Pat. Nr.1242520 and stamping in shaft is: 08 FELO 2. Shaft has phillips tip on one end, and 3/8th wide flat tip on other end. A bit of "after purchase" research says its from a 1968 Mercedes 250SE tool kit. Anyone know if these were also used by VW ???

tasb Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:16 pm

The 1966 has to be a typo/mistake. I can't think of anything on a 66 that is 14mm. The reversing Felo screwdriver was used in VW tool kits of that era too. I know that the original two nut clutch cable adjustment used a 12 mm nut and I think the 36 hp fuel lines used 12 mm nuts.

Digger89L Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 am

You may have something there: just checked the Bentley manual. They list the tools required to work on the VW ...not a single mention of using a 14mm for anything. Weird.

tasb Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Pre- 1960 there are a lot of items that use a 14mm od bolt or nut.