TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Paint Question
Ea$y Money Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:14 pm

ok, so I am going to be painting my bus soon. I love the chestnut brown and sealing wax red color combination. Problem is that when I give the paint codes L 53 and L 73 to the paint supply they tell me that I can only get those colors in single stage. I would rather have the paint where I can shoot a clear coat. why are these colors only available in single stage? does anyone have any ideas or is there an equivalent that will get me the same colors as L53 and L73? thanks!

eyetzr Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:56 am

Remember, old bus paint codes, old bus paint. If a paint colour stays in a code book & they update it to base/coat clear coat. If a colour is out of date they drop it. You could get a pint of each & do a sprayout, then have the paint shop scan & see if they can get a formula that will come out in base/clear. Some pigments do not cross over & it may be a bit off, a good paint tint guy or painter may be able to adjust it on the fly. Be prepared too pay for someone to match your colour. Ask that it have the formula for later touch ups.

Ea$y Money Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:13 am

thanks for the information. ill tell the paint guy what you told me an see what he can do. thanks again.

Mike Fisher Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am

You could spray clear on single stage paint, but I would spray it all in the same day while the paint is soft. Buy/mix it all local. Wait a couple weeks before you buff the clear.

eyetzr Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:00 pm

I was going to say you could clear over the single stage, but the post was I want base/ clear. Check with the paint sheets to see if you can clear over the single stage. Let us know what you found.

Ea$y Money Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:58 pm

i didn't know that you could clear over a single stage paint. that sounds like a good idea. i will ask the paint guy on Monday. thanks again.