TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shift rod bushing
Hip2besquare Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:22 pm

was wondering if anyone knows why the shift rod bushing just behind the shifter cup needs to have the flat side point towards the driver side.They dont give any reason but says it must point that way. Does anyone know the reason why?

KTPhil Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:26 pm

All I can think of is that it might have to do with the extra side stress put on it when selecting reverse.

TMI Products Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 am

does a shifter bushing also fix a rattling shifter???I noticed mine got a little noisier recently.

eyetzr Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:41 am

I never noticed the rattle in the shifter, just seemed sloppy & loose. Take off the shifter & check the rod to see if it moves freely. Mine was just flopping around, new bushing & it was snug.

KTPhil Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 am

TMI Products wrote: does a shifter bushing also fix a rattling shifter???I noticed mine got a little noisier recently.

Yes, that is a common cause. It should be addressed ASAP because the metal rod banging on the metal support will wear out the support hole, and then the new bushing will not fit well.

A few tips (search for threads covering this well):
- Take the rod out of the car and use steel wool and solvent to get it REALLY clean and shiny, then lightly grease it the whole length. I use moly grease that doesn't stiffen much with cold. Make sure there are NO burrs on the tip that passes through the bushing.
- Install the bushing and circlip in the bracket before inserting the rod; put the ring on, then pop it in the hanger hole.
- Use a piece of coathanger or other wire suspended from a pencil laid over the shifter hole to support the rod rather than trying to grip it with pliers. Twist the wire until the end will line up vertically with the bushing on the bracket.
- Lube the end and shove it from the front, maybe with a helper guiding you watching through the shifter hole, maybe adjusting the wire slightly.
- Slide it rearward with pliers through the hole (but don't nick it!) and get it almost into the bushing.
- Give it a firm shove and it should pop through the bushing.
- Then move on to checking the coupler and rebuilding it if needed.
- Check the shifter plate and adjust the position of the shifter so you hit all gears easily.

TMI Products Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:03 pm

KTPhil wrote: TMI Products wrote: does a shifter bushing also fix a rattling shifter???I noticed mine got a little noisier recently.

Yes, that is a common cause. It should be addressed ASAP because the metal rod banging on the metal support will wear out the support hole, and then the new bushing will not fit well.

A few tips (search for threads covering this well):
- Take the rod out of the car and use steel wool and solvent to get it REALLY clean and shiny, then lightly grease it the whole length. I use moly grease that doesn't stiffen much with cold. Make sure there are NO burrs on the tip that passes through the bushing.
- Install the bushing and circlip in the bracket before inserting the rod; put the ring on, then pop it in the hanger hole.
- Use a piece of coathanger or other wire suspended from a pencil laid over the shifter hole to support the rod rather than trying to grip it with pliers. Twist the wire until the end will line up vertically with the bushing on the bracket.
- Lube the end and shove it from the front, maybe with a helper guiding you watching through the shifter hole, maybe adjusting the wire slightly.
- Slide it rearward with pliers through the hole (but don't nick it!) and get it almost into the bushing.
- Give it a firm shove and it should pop through the bushing.
- Then move on to checking the coupler and rebuilding it if needed.
- Check the shifter plate and adjust the position of the shifter so you hit all gears easily. thanks, looks like a winter weekend project.