TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subaru head gasket replacement (video)
ftp2leta Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:37 pm

Since there is often threads/comment about those... and so many seem to know all. I did that today mostly for some member here, a few quiet one also.

I give # as much as I can but I can't share my guts feeling and hands.

As opposed to the 2.2L the 2.5L SOHC doesn't leak from cam plug or basically anywhere else except from the 4 spark plug top seal.

Wile there, change the T-belt and idlers. Water pump are built like tank.

Don't go crazy with the torque sequence on such a small head, the only real rule is to begin with the center one.

Official torque sequence and my mod in red:

Tighten to 22 ft lbs
3 1 6
5 2 4
1)- Tighten to 51 ft lbs (55)

2)-Back off 180 degrees first, then another 180 degrees (Stupid, after 200 deg or so they are already loose, so loose them up period)

3)-Tighten #1, #2 to 25 ft lbs ( 25 ft lbs)

4)-Tighten #3, #4, #5, #6 to 11 ft lbs (11 ft lbs) 16-18

5)-Tighten all bolts 80-90 degrees (in sequence), DO NOT EXCEED 90 degrees

6)-Finish tighten another 80-90 degrees (in sequence), DO NOT EXCEED 90 degrees. If you do so, torque WILL be uneven trust me. So yes, do that 90deg turn but use a toque wrench, needle one if possible and watch the #. Around 75 for the outer one and close to 85-90 for the center one.

Ben

dobryan Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you Ben! :D

insyncro Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 am

Thank you :!:

insyncro Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:48 am

Thank you :!:

kalispell365 Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:23 am

Excellent video Ben!

I would however have to respectfully disagree about your comment regarding the water pump. There is no way I would do a reseal and reuse a 80-100k water pump. I often find them leaking, and they are cheap and take only a minute or two while in there.

vanonimous Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:52 am

Good man for making the video. Subarus are so easy. I was suprised how hard it was to reach the final torque it took all I had in my hands. Also oil up threads if using factory torque values and sequence.
Without superimposing my opinion over your wonderful work I would possibly avoid using Rolocs to clean up the head surface and instead have them machined. Even 0.007" + can make the MLS gaskets fail. If using old style gaskets it is probably OK though. The case never warps but the heads do. Cheers!

JeffRobenolt Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:28 pm

3M Make a round brissel that fits in a drill for cleaning the head and block.

I always put ear plugs in the oil holes on the head and block. Any garbage gets in, it is a straight shot to the crank bearings.

Thanks for all you effort Ben!

ftp2leta Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

vanonimous wrote: I would possibly avoid using Rolocs to clean up the head surface and instead have them machined. Even 0.007" + can make the MLS gaskets fail.

Hi, I'm equipped to check head warp, 2 different ways. I personally have never seen a warped SOHC Subi boxer head but have seen DOHC one.

Note: the round brissel is the soft one, what I didn't show (because heck, I do that for fun) is that the head where BOTH sanded with 800 grid and a 1,5 feet solid bar at the end.

There is no difference between SOHC gasket since 99. Maybe they have modified this one a bit over the years but not in thickness. The part # for a 2000 and a 2009 SOCH engine is the same.

The millage of this engine is in km, sorry if somewhere i said otherwise.
So it's about 65-70k miles.

I have never seen a dead Subi water pump. Like I said, I have changed all components that may failed including all idlers, tensioner, head valve cover sparks plug seal.

The rest is rock solid and can go on for ever.

The Subi 2.5L SOHC is not perfect but is far better then many engine on the road. It's also very easy to work on.

It took me more time to edit that video then the job itself.

I have decided to stick with this engine for a wile. I heard some ""stories"" about the new DOHC T-chain drive 2.5L

I have also degraded to 06-08 harness and ECU even if I'm also using the 2011-2013 Legacy SOHC bizarre... engine, kind of an hybrid between SOHC & DOHC

I'm getting close to my 100th conversion... so I guess I kind (I hope) of know my stuff now.

I also want to warn people that a small oil head leak is not a major problem and can last years... my girlfriend 2003 Forester as been leaking (very little) for more then one years, I'm just to lazy to do the job. My own 2002 Legacy as now 140k miles (bought it at 60k miles), I did the oil pan and the T-belt and idler and brakes at around 100k miles, thats it. It as no leak what so ever. But like I said, head gasket will be needed at some point.

I drive Subaru car now for 2 reasons, good in the snow and I pay about nothing for good used part to fix them.

Regards, Ben

JeffRobenolt Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:13 pm

I told a customer the same about the water pump, I have never had one fail(OEM)

Should on knocked on something, his failed!!

But I can still say that (I) have never had one fail.

Jeff

tschroeder0 Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:22 pm

great video Ben, I followed your written instructions way back when I was doing the rings/gaskets on my 2.2 after 1 1/2 years its been rock solid.
as usual thanks!

msewalson Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks for the video Ben. Wondering if you reuse the head bolts?

Thanks again,
Matt

kalispell365 Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:21 am

Head bolts can be reused, make sure and clean out the block threads with brake cleaner and compressed air and use motor oil on the bolt threads and washers.