TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can a 1970 bus standard transmission be towed with a dolly ?
LEE 64 Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:50 pm

can a 1970 camper with a standard transmission be towed with a dolly ? any special precautions ? Thanks

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:55 pm

yes, but some have had some pretty bad luck as the shifter slid into gear somehow and blew the engine.

if you had to go far, I would probably remove 1 axle just in case, or better both axles.

grtfldan Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Another way is to disconnect the shifter linkage.

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:42 pm

either way, don't do this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303153&highlight=towing+blew

jtauxe Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:07 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: either way, don't do this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303153&highlight=towing+blew
Ugh. That is just sickening! :(

I have never had a problem putting the front wheels of a manual transmission bus on a tow dolly and towing it. I've towed them hundreds of miles, actually. With the front wheels on the ground (had to, once) things were much more sketchy in terms of control.

Brian Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

I did it by disconnecting the shifter linkage. When we were loading it up the guy said "You could leave it in 4th so you can charge the battery while you're driving."

grandpa pete Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

Wildthings Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:19 pm

grandpa pete wrote: Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

and you may end up with a very unstable tow. :cry:

Tom Powell Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Wildthings wrote: grandpa pete wrote: Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

I've had a tow with the rear wheels lifted and the steering wheel locked with the wheels straight and the steering wheel secured. Max tow speed was probably about twenty-five and the distance about ten miles. No problem with stability and back on the road with a new fuel pump.

Aloha
tp

dugfresh Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:21 pm

At my local VW parts supplier Bow Wow... they have a solid hunk of metal that was a piston they pulled out of a motor that had been drug behind.. in gear.

WM971252 Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am

Wildthings wrote: grandpa pete wrote: Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

Not if you secure the steering wheel right (and the front end is up to snuff). Yes this is not from using a tow dolly but with a tow truck hooking the rear with everything from a Bug to a 26 foot box truck

Wildthings Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:33 am

WM971252 wrote: Wildthings wrote: grandpa pete wrote: Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

Not if you secure the steering wheel right (and the front end is up to snuff). Yes this is not from using a tow dolly but with a tow truck hooking the rear with everything from a Bug to a 26 foot box truck

Sorry, but I have seen several rear end first tows fail to work well with the wheel lashed. One by a guy that tows cars around the country for a living.

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:25 am

the WM in his user name is part of his wreck master id. he has towed more crazy shit safely than anyone i have known. if he says it's possible to do so safely, i personally take his work as gospel

grandpa pete Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 am

grandpa pete wrote: Put it on the tow dolly backwards ....tie off the steering so it can't move left or right AND secure the pop top

Do you think I just make this stuff up to post and screw people up ????

I'v towed from Boston to ST Pete this way AND all over Florida .....

And that was with a 32 ford that you wouldn't dare tow with the rear wheels on the ground

WM971252 Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:56 am

Now Now Skills, You ain't see it all (the best was the Corvette that was put in the lot at the top of the hill.....)

How was the steering wheel secured? I have seen and done all of the except a rope (sorry too thick to go through the window frame). The only way that works and will stand up when you stand before a judge is two 1 inch ratchet straps on each side of the wheel.

Again that is if the front end and parts are in "like new condition" (AAA words they use in their towing bible).

WreckMaster 971252 4/5

skills@eurocarsplus Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:14 am

^^^^

I've seen enough :lol: