TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Red Vanagon Hotrod project update Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 pm

I tried to load the images..gave up. Here is the link for the dropbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6wbyn50p5edq88y/AACEwB9NljLZyUpP1bb9cEsna?dl=0

Crankey Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:55 pm

looks great, whats your engine ?

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Still sorting out the front wheel caps. Might require a bit of witchcraft to get the OE caps to work with the VW grease caps.

Next up...re-powering. Leaning toward the 1.8t. Will probably regear the auto trans so its happier on the freeway. Also going to upgrade the A/C so it can survive Texas summer heat.

Here is the start of the build post from last year. I posted the parts etc that we installed for those of you who are interested.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595649&highlight=

insyncro Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Love it.
I have a 91 Carat Wolf van with Porsche Twists as well.
They look like the LLE van's from Europe.

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:21 pm

I am also researching a H6...about the same price as a 1.8T. Maybe the flat RU 6 will get me closer to the original goal of the Porsche flat 6 in spirit.

We want to keep the automatic. Trying to find out what is required to make this happen. On Smallcars site now..

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:22 pm

How did you get the Porsche caps to fit over the grease caps?

insyncro wrote: Love it.

insyncro Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:25 pm

AustinVan wrote: How did you get the Porsche caps to fit over the grease caps?

insyncro wrote: Love it.

There are different versions of the grease caps, some a much shallower.
They can be cut down as well.

Somewhere in this forum there is a thread showing the versions and how to cut them down if you have the deep ones.

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:32 pm

Perfect. Thanks!

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:40 pm

If you want a B32 tribute, then it can only be a Porsche flat six. A 1.8t would make an excellent candidate for a theoretical Audi works version of a B32 concept van. You'll want the upgraded Audi turbo planetary gears and a 3.27 R&P.

Did you have to do any trim work to the wheel arches to get them to fit the rocker panels and bumper covers?

IdahoDoug Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:00 pm

What front seats are those? Audi?

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Find me someone who will do the Porsche motor and I am all in. NO ONE wants to do it. The 2 guys on the west coast that did these conversions are no longer doing them

Yes, the front wheel arches required a lot of trimming. I will post better close up images. Not a plug and play.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: If you want a B32 tribute, then it can only be a Porsche flat six. A 1.8t would make an excellent candidate for a theoretical Audi works version of a B32 concept van. You'll want the upgraded Audi turbo planetary gears and a 3.27 R&P.

Did you have to do any trim work to the wheel arches to get them to fit the rocker panels and bumper covers?

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Recaro. Bought them new.

I researched dropping in Recaros that were designed for a car and found the solution lacking. 2 issues:

1) We wanted arm rests.
2) The bench portion of the Recaro seat that is made for this application is shorter. Or so I was told.

The seats were expensive. They make the interior and the grey matches amazingly well. I like how they are not physically as wide so it opens up the space a bit more. Visually its a bit less 'van'.

Gowesty had the seats in stock.

IdahoDoug wrote: What front seats are those? Audi?

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:50 pm

AustinVan wrote: Find me someone who will do the Porsche motor and I am all in. NO ONE wants to do it. The 2 guys on the west coast that did these conversions are no longer doing them

Yes, the front wheel arches required a lot of trimming. I will post better close up images. Not a plug and play.

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: If you want a B32 tribute, then it can only be a Porsche flat six. A 1.8t would make an excellent candidate for a theoretical Audi works version of a B32 concept van. You'll want the upgraded Audi turbo planetary gears and a 3.27 R&P.

To call a project a tribute car is to hew pretty tightly to particular set of criteria. Personally, I wouldn't opt for any gas engine above five cylinders in these heavy and decidedly unaerodynamic boxes, as the fuel mileage is atrocious, especially with an auto. By all accounts, the 1.8t is THE gas engine that delivers acceptable fuel mileage and oodles of power...of the sort befitting a "hotrod" van.

I look forward to your close up pics, as I haven't seen any of those arches along with the rocker panels.

Tristar Eric Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:59 pm

nice flares! interesting to see them mounted to the fender instead of under the door though.

I think painting the side cladding red looks awesome. I personally would paint the center of the cladding black, I think it would tie the flares together.

Great job on the Van.

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I considered that..painting the side molding.

Didn't do it for the sake of paint lines etc.

If this were a classic Porsche restoration I would of gone all out. I have been down the slippery slope of restoring a car to perfect condition before. Its endless check writing and at the end of the day you have a perfect piece of garage art.

I didn't want a garage queen that we could use as intended.

I hear you guys on the 1.8T. Its more $$ vs the Subaru motors. The advantage a 1.8T does have is it would make the van sellable to someone in CA if I were to sell it. That is arguably worth the cost difference between the RU 2.5 vs the 1.8T.

furrylittleotter Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice van.

Neil2

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:20 pm

That isn't a Porsche motor...do tell.

furrylittleotter Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:38 pm

:D

blaze80 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:23 pm

What is your suspension set-up (ok is with what springs?)? Looks awesome- yours is basically what I want to have with ours in only blue!

AustinVan Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:43 pm

996/ 997 Turbo.

That is why I didn't recognize it.

I like the older stuff.

Cool pic none the less. Thanks for posting.

furrylittleotter wrote: 911 turbo.