TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Thinking about a simple pan/woodsbuggy anyone have some pics
71StandardReduction Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 pm

I have an old rusted out '74 super behind the shop and a few extra beams from standard beetles and a bus beam.
The beams I have are a few stock type 1 ball joint, type 1 link pin with brake less hubs and a type 2 with the lifted style link pin spindles.

I'm wanting to build a simple woods buggy that I can.... Well run over small trees and just abuse in the woods without worrying about messing up sheet metal and/or fiberglass.

My plans are to start out with a chassis similar to what Wicked creations shared in Hot VWs magazine last year, I don't have any pictures handy but will try to locate the issue.

I'm going to retain the tunnel up to the other side of the napoleons hat just to make things simple to work on and replace.

Looking for inspirational pictures of simple home built pan buggies and rails, also criticism and input.

Brian Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:37 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Just a nice basic rail with some crawler tires I think would do

71StandardReduction Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:17 am

Thinking about caping off the tunnel like this but with a straight piece of tubing that doesn't contour the pans.
It will not have vw floor pans.

I whipped up a couple of master pieces to illustrate:

I drew a standard frame head because it was easier.

Square tubing is in the drawing because it is easier to draw.

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:35 am

simple and woods buggy don't go together in my mind, but I guess if you want to get technical a woodsbuggy isn't any different than any other except in the strength department. It's built to bounce off trees and climb them once in awhile too.

71StandardReduction Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:55 am

Simple by the starting foundation and/or design

In that i mean, I'm not starting with just a torsion housing.

Using the full length tunnel also gives a preset passenger area length of the buggy.
Preset/ existing shifter linkage, clutch and accelerator cables, emergency brake etc.
Those aren't really difficult to set up but I do think it will be easier if all that is already laid out and I just build around it.

Another thought that was in my mind when I typed simple was using the existing engine, trans and rear suspension.

I haven't mentioned that it will be a four seater style.

..... Perhaps I should've typed simple to build woods buggy.

Dale M. Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:13 am

Use full pan and build lots of "cage" around passenger to keep rocks and trees and limbs and such for beating up passengers, this is simplest route, even simpler just make full body beetle into BAJA style beast... If you cut off pans and frame head you will just be adding something more back on to have mount for front suspension and will need to add floor to keep passengers feet safe...

Woods buggies tend to be more rugged because of type of use over typical "sand rails"...

Dale

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:18 am

Actually. Simple can be stronger. If something breaks in the dunes you can usually walk straight out or get a tow. In the woods you may not even want to leave your rig due to dangers around you or the path out is too long or unknown. A complicated rig can be more likely to have weaknesses and harder to fix/carry spares.

71StandardReduction Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 am

ORANGECRUSHer wrote: Actually. Simple can be stronger. If something breaks in the dunes you can usually walk straight out or get a tow. In the woods you may not even want to leave your rig due to dangers around you or the path out is too long or unknown. A complicated rig can be more likely to have weaknesses and harder to fix/carry spares.

I have had to walk home before and leave my beetle in the woods until I could make it back with my truck.

The beetle that's in my signature was my play toy before I started restoring and swapping parts on it.
It's taking so long to build and costing so much that I'm considering going back to IRS with a more practical sense so I can drive it rather than play in it.

You have made a good point, I have a family so what I build will be based around not making my children walk home.
Swaping an axle out or something similar will be easier on an open buggy than a full body sedan plus it won't be so damn hot to ride in like the beetle was.

71StandardReduction Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:44 am

Dale M. wrote: Use full pan and build lots of "cage" around passenger to keep rocks and trees and limbs and such for beating up passengers, this is simplest route, even simpler just make full body beetle into BAJA style beast... If you cut off pans and frame head you will just be adding something more back on to have mount for front suspension and will need to add floor to keep passengers feet safe...

Woods buggies tend to be more rugged because of type of use over typical "sand rails"...

Dale

That would be easiest.
I have designated a super beetle for the build so the frame head has to come off and the pans are rusted out.
I haven't weighed the options of cost with replacement pans (last set I bought were $301.xx) vs. some other material.

I have a '69 model too that I could do the same with, last time I got close to it I saw about 4.5 foot of rattle snake so I surrendered.

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:38 pm

If ur not running the bug body there's no real reason you couldn't just weld some plate on instead of actual floors. Might be cheaper and safer. A flat floor might be easier to add the roll bar to also.

71StandardReduction Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:41 pm

If i mount the seats onto tubing, How thick should i go on the flooring?

Bret2094 Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:56 pm

If you are just using it to get around in the woods, you could make a tunnel buggy. Pretty inexpensive and you can always build to it later

Bret

71StandardReduction Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm going for a pan rail like this.

But with a more modern style structure and stretched front end like this and most others I see.

ORANGECRUSHer Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:05 pm

If you want to build a tube frame off the tunnel then whatever you use for flooring is just to keep stumps from violating your nether regions. If you can get ahold of some aluminum diamond plate for cheap of decent thickness you can use more without the weight of steel. I got lucky and was gifted some 1/4" which will last close to forever I'm guessing. I do like to leave gaps behind the seats at the torsion so mud and water can fall out. Expanded metal is a nice alternative where you want to keep things out or body parts in but have drainage. It's really just preference when it all comes down to it. I say just get started, squish that snake, and see what you figure out along the way.
I look forward to watching cuz it sounds like a fun project.

no1clyde Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am

I am keeping my pan in a Baja Bug I am building right now. Build is different than most with some different ideas but you may enjoy looking at it. Some of these pics are a little earlier than some others but the most done pics are it as it sits now.

I build a 3" lift for it too and tied the lift, cage and pan together like this.

I have built all the parts for this build my self and have a complete thread on the car over on shoptalk under Ed's Baja Bug build if you want to check it out. You may have to join the forum to see the pics over there.

Good luck with your build.

Ed

Vanapplebomb Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 am

Now this I like! More function than form. 8) The T3 engine is a nice old school cool touch as well.

71StandardReduction wrote: I'm going for a pan rail like this.

71StandardReduction Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Vanapplebomb wrote: Now this I like! More function than form. 8) The T3 engine is a nice old school cool touch as well.

71StandardReduction wrote: I'm going for a pan rail like this.

Actually the whole thing is a type 3.
I just watched the video for the first time myself, the curve of the pan made me curious.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rMZOJT2EuT4

Vanapplebomb Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm

That video was a teaser. I kept waiting for them to fire it up. :lol: