TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1973 camper with 3TC
EDSEL Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:29 pm

I have a 73 camper that I put a 81 3TC into I have the radiator up top. Travel between chattanooga,tn and Maine never had a problem had to leave the thermostat out slowed the flow. Doesn't over heat. Going to put a high performance water pump in it. I left the Toyota crossmember and mounts on the motor then connected that to the mustache that I cut down. Worked perfectly. Rebuilt the motor before I put it in should of used a different trans had to put 16 rims on to lower the RPMs. 65 @3200rpms. Made a mount for the alternator so I could keep the vw one. Don't like wiring. The radiator is in a box that looks like luggage on top.

alman72 Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:48 pm

lets see a pic of the luggage/rad!
also, does that motor poke into the cabin?

EDSEL Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 pm

EDSEL Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:45 am

I put a freeway flyer transmission in it works great. If I didn’t want to use it for long distance travel I might of made it electric. I’m lucky it came from Arizona so has no rust. I put the regular tires back on and the RPMs are great. I used rusty bottom outside of Nashville for the transmission great place! Don’t know how long I’ll keep it or what it’s worth it would be easy to convert back to vw power but then I think a Toyota motor is a vast improvement.