TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 69 Fastback Critique
one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:57 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1692123

I have been keeping an eye on this one for a bit. I am still a few months away from an actual purchase, but I was wondering what others thought of this one?

I know my Squarebacks and Beetles. I'm new to the fastbacks. What is right and what is wrong with this car? Why do some 69's have blinkers on the fenders by the doors and others do not?

I see a rust free car in need of some work. What do you guys see?

Max Welton Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:02 pm

It's got possibilities. Somebody put some nasty old carburetors on it.

:wink:

Max

one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:05 pm

Max Welton wrote: It's got possibilities. Somebody put some nasty old carburetors on it.

:wink:

Max

That can be fixed. I know a guy that knows a thing or two about modern FI on type 3 cars. :)

one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Speaking of the carbs,I wonder if those are Dell's, Weber's or hpmx? I'm pretty good with the Dell's after messing with the ones in my 70.

Donnie strickland Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:42 pm

The side markers were a European market thing, but some people added them later to US market cars.

I can't tell much about it, but what I can see in the pictures, looks pretty solid. Missing the frunk seal and dash, but those are easy fixes as you know.

one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Donnie strickland wrote: The side markers were a European market thing, but some people added them later to US market cars.

I can't tell much about it, but what I can see in the pictures, looks pretty solid. Missing the frunk seal and dash, but those are easy fixes as you know.

Good eye. I saw the dash but missed the frunk seal. Another thing to add to the list of things.

I would imagine a fastback would be quieter than a squareback due to the extra level of blockage of engine noise? I loved my square, but it was a bit noisy with the engine only capped by a thin engine topper.

notchback Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Donnie strickland wrote: The side markers were a European market thing, but some people added them later to US market cars.

I can't tell much about it, but what I can see in the pictures, looks pretty solid. Missing the frunk seal and dash, but those are easy fixes as you know. The front turn signals also signify a Euro spec car. They used those thru the '69 model year. DOT regulations made them change to the bullet in the US.

Also, if it was a Euro car, it would have had carbs on it.

Bobnotch Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:43 pm

one4house wrote: Speaking of the carbs,I wonder if those are Dell's, Weber's or hpmx? I'm pretty good with the Dell's after messing with the ones in my 70.

Looks like a set of Dells to me. But then it being a 1776, the stock FI intake system could go right on, and converted to MS with a little time and money invested. :wink: But then living in that part of Texas, the Dells once tuned correctly, will probably be just fine with it. 8)

It's missing the duct work tubes as well, so you might not want to drive it too far, until those get installed (it does have the main heat exchangers though).

I'd contact the sell, and see if he could send you a pic of the left rear trunk wall. If it's got a black panel on it, then it had FI. But, if it's all solid metal across there, then it's a Euro car, and CAME with carbs (Solexes).

Overall, it doesn't look too bad though, and might be a nice driver. But, I'd plan on replacing the tires, as they're probably at least 7 to 10 years old.

one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:51 pm

Bobnotch wrote: one4house wrote: Speaking of the carbs,I wonder if those are Dell's, Weber's or hpmx? I'm pretty good with the Dell's after messing with the ones in my 70.

Looks like a set of Dells to me. But then it being a 1776, the stock FI intake system could go right on, and converted to MS with a little time and money invested. :wink:

It's missing the duct work tubes as well, so you might not want to drive it too far, until those get installed (it does have the main heat exchangers though).

I'd contact the sell, and see if he could send you a pic of the left rear trunk wall. If it's got a black panel on it, then it had FI. But, if it's all solid metal across there, then it's a Euro car, and CAME with carbs (Solexes).

Overall, it doesn't look too bad though, and might be a nice driver. But, I'd plan on replacing the tires, as they're probably at least 7 to 10 years old.

Another nice catch on the duct work. I'm getting lazy with my eyes these days.

What I am looking for is a daily. My old Ford truck doesn't get any attention, that is for sure. Right now I am 30 miles to and from work. That will end before I am able to get another car going, but any excuse to buy a fastback, right?

I wish I was in a position to pick it up now. It would make for a fun commuter car.

Max Welton Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Bobnotch wrote: But then it being a 1776, the stock FI intake system could go right on, and converted to MS with a little time and money invested. :wink:
FWIW, I have that engine,. It's just begging for a nice car to go into. :wink:

Max

one4house Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:00 pm

Max Welton wrote: Bobnotch wrote: But then it being a 1776, the stock FI intake system could go right on, and converted to MS with a little time and money invested. :wink:
FWIW, I have that engine,. It's just begging for a nice car to go into. :wink:

Max

Did I miss something? What engine are you talking about?

In the future,I would love to take those carbs on this car, sell them and go ms like you have, max. That was what I was alluding to.

Max Welton Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh I caught it. :lol:

I also am in no position to got get this one. It would do very nicely.

Max

Clatter Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:01 am

Uh oh... Headlight Eyebrows! :shock:
BIG red flag!

If someone is willing to put headlight eyebrows on,
There is no telling what other hacks you will find.

type3nut64 Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:49 pm

wouldn't low back seats be euro spec trait as well?

one4house Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:24 pm

From my replies on the type 3 list, most think it is a Euro model because of the low back seats, side makers and carbs.....obviously not stock carbs, but originally carbed.

I am still a ways off from actually purchasing. It is just fun to collect information.