TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for rear Baja cage designs...
Metal Twister Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm in the process of caging a bug and Im just about to the Point where I need to build an engine cage. Are there any advantages of one style over the other? Anything unique being done? I was kind of trying to stay away from the old school basket style engine style cage... Any suggestions or direction would be helpful. Pic are always nice! Thanks in advance.

What we have so far...

dustymojave Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Definitely connect your rear bumper to the back of the roll cage so bumps from behind and bumps from underneath don't hurt anything. Mounting it to the firewall is just a quick way to destroy your firewall. Ask SoCal member Rickosuave about that.

Metal Twister Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Oh yeah. In fact I just cut out where the previous engine cage got ripped off the firewall. It will be tied in for sure.

98Champion Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm

[/img]

Spaceman7Spiff Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:51 pm

Here's mine. I like his ^ better

Brian Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:01 pm

I dig it Ryan.

Yea I would not connect to the firewall but through it

Bugzilla Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

98Champion wrote:

What kind of tires are these?? ^

(Oh, yeah--and I really like that cage, too!)

T

Metal Twister Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:27 pm

I dont suspect I need to build it for much more than when I back into something. Of course it will have a skid pan attached so Im guessing that will be the biggest issue. I put the 10 degrees in the engine so I put 10 degrees in the cage as well. I might go a bit higher with a second rail? What do ya think... Should I?.

Brian Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:35 pm

Bugzilla wrote: What kind of tires are these??

General grabber

KrAzY-BaJa Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 pm

:lol:

Metal Twister Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:11 pm

Thanks guys for the help. I kinda used ideas from all of them and built a basic cage. Still going to add some ears to protect the heads then weld it up It should be just fine.

Metal Twister Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Good enough for tonight Thanks again guys!

dustymojave Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:17 am

It DOES look good. Personally I would have set the crossbar about even with the top of the alternator. But otherwise I like it!

One thing I particularly like is the bottom rails bending upward at the back of the block, while having allowed plenty of room under the block. Sand car guys tend to make a 90° bend at the outer limit of the bumper past the headers. That style like Spaceman7Spiff's tends to drag, while the way you have done it is far less likely to drag. It's how mine is made as well as KrAzY-BaJa's and 98Champion's.

Metal Twister Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:56 am

I was thinking about a single hoop going up in the back to protect the exhaust but in thinking about it It's not going to be raced and I doubt anyone will be following that close anyway... If needed it can always be added. Its more about protecting the engine if it is backed into something LOL The 10 degree kick on the engine gets the very back end of the cage up about an additional 5 or 6 inches higher than the standard 90 degree bend. Thanks for the thumbs up it should work out just fine. This pic give a little better view of the angle of the bottom bars.

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:12 pm

If that were mine you wouldn't be able to see the engine after I was done. lol

I like your take.

Metal Twister Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks... one of those wing it and go projects.