TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rag top grafting. Which way is best? Page: 1, 2  Next
tictac1997 Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:07 pm

I have a '62 hard top and a '60 rag top donor clip (from about half way up all pillars), I have seen many different videos & how to's. But, which one is yields the best result?
Cut close around the ragtop?
Cut out the ragtop with the top of the front windshield?
Take apart the rain gutters & replace entire roof?
Cut A, B, & C pillars and install whole roof (like a chop top)?

RareAir Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:44 pm

tictac1997 wrote: I have a '62 hard top and a '60 rag top donor clip (from about half way up all pillars), I have seen many different videos & how to's. But, which one is yields the best result?
Cut close around the ragtop?
Cut out the ragtop with the top of the front windshield?
Take apart the rain gutters & replace entire roof?
Cut A, B, & C pillars and install whole roof (like a chop top)?

8)

grandpa pete Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:28 pm

I have helped 2 people do this recently ; For the least amount of precision measuring AND the least amount of finishing bodywork I suggest this ; Cut the old roof off leaving one inch of roof along the gutter . use a plug weld remover to take the top layer of metal off across the top of the windshield AND the rear window .

On the rag graft ; cut the roof on the sides AT the gutter and use the one inch piece left on the old roof to plug weld to...use the plug weld remover to remove the lower metal along the windshield drilling ALL the way through ( use these holes to plug weld top on ) ...you will get a barely noticeable seam along the sides and NO welds visible UNDER the glass rubber front and back .

You will have to TRY to put this on crooked or off center doing it this way .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555080&highlight=replacing+roof

Use this link for a tutorial on plug weld remover and windshield metal layer removal

cfelke Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:09 am

Since I also live in Indiana, I can save you the trouble and you can sell the clip to me. It is easiest to cut about 2 inches all the way around the hole of the ragtop and do the same to the roof of your car and weld it in. Yo don't need to wory about rain gutters or windows then. That is how mine was done years ago. So much less body work.

tictac1997 Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks for the responses so far. Wow, grandpa pete! That's impressive.
No matter what I do, I will be sure to keep posting the results (good or bad).
I had a ragtop decades ago. I have always wanted another one, and I need a challenging project.

By the way, for the people that would ask WHY? would you cut off a perfectly good roof? This car is full of holes on the inside! Someone before me used a hole saw to.... "lighten" the car for the strip. I cant imagine gaining more than a pound or two. I'm posting a picture of this car so that all can see where I'm starting. And if anyone recognizes it, I would love to hear some of the history on it.

tictac1997 Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:34 am

The fenders in the front are custom extended all fiberglass. The scoops behind the windows are fully functional.

tictac1997 Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the inside pieces for a ragtop?
I have all the important mechanisms. Just missing all the interior stuff, bows, inside liner, etc.

jzjames Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:52 pm

The bows would be part of a complete ragtop mechanism.

ottvw Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Don't overlap it and plug weld it. Take your time and do it right. Here's a good link the they way I'm currently doing mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

jzjames Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Cant really top that. What did it cost?

Lidpainter Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 am

I did mine by installing it from underneath with about a 1/2" overlap and extended it at the front all the way to the windshield frame. It's perfectly positioned and completely undetectable unless you were to really look closely from inside the car but once the headliner is installed it could pass for factory.

KTPhil Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:19 am

Did the ragtop cars get the A/C pillar drains that the later steel sunroof cars got?

tictac1997 Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks for all the input. This is what makes the Samba so great!
Here's the rag clip that I have to work with. The car it came off of was so rotted on the bottom, that the car was collapsing/folding in half. I had to rescue the top. I'm seriously thinking about taking the whole top of the car off. This would eliminate warping in the top, alignment would be automatic, and it would give me metal inside that I'm missing now (and a dome light).
I may even be temped to put an oval in the back. And look closely at the dash. I love the corner grab handle. I don't have a dash. It was previously cut out and replaced with a flat plate for gages. What else do I have to do?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1289124.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1289128.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/medium/1289127.jpg

tictac1997 Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:46 pm

tictac1997 Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Ok, how about some better pics.

grandpa pete Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:53 pm

KTPhil wrote: Did the ragtop cars get the A/C pillar drains that the later steel sunroof cars got?

None on my 63

grandpa pete Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:58 pm

ottvw wrote: Don't overlap it and plug weld it. Take your time and do it right. Here's a good link the they way I'm currently doing mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=501541&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This is the way " you " are DOING " yours "; That's funny !!!
TRP is charging you HOW MUCH AN HOUR for YOU to do WHAT !!!

tictac1997 Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:16 am

OK, here's a little update on the project.
I have decided to keep as much of the pillars as possible. As you can see, I succeeded in breaking my windshield. And I even cut the rubber on the inside first. This weekend is the big cutting event. I'll keep you posted (good or bad). (o\!/o)

tictac1997 Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 am

It went pretty well. Lots, and lots of measuring first before the first cut. I'm really glad that I welded little tabs around the openings on the ragtop posts. They required a little prying to get them all to fall in to the openings on the car. But it provided a much needed backing to weld against. And, if any of the cuts were off, then the tabs were enough to compensate. One thing that I have noticed, it is difficult to finish some of the A pillar contours. I imagine that the B pillar is going to be equally difficult

grandpa pete Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 am

spacing pieces are a great idea ; the reason I didn't cut at the colums was concearn about getting the openings wrong...
.I think you solved a major problem for the " next guy " ...
Tabs welded inside the top piece posts will help too .
With the cuts and welds where they are the body work is minimal without ever worrying about heat warpage in the top metal.....
For finishing off contour work ; use wooden paint stick wrapped with 150 grit sandpaper .
Using cardboard to match colum cuts takes the variables out .
One question.... Were the spacing pieces strong enough to hold the weight of the top while you welded it on ?
great photos too ...!