TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: towing 2 bugs
buggnnn Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:45 pm

I have to go pickup 2 bugs and I have an 18ft car hauler and a vw tow bar. Do you think it will pull ok with one on the trailer and one behind trailer on tow bar. Thanks

busdaddy Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:32 pm

No :shock:

Stanagon Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:33 pm

It sounds dangerous to me.

MacLeod Willy Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Why not?
As long as you not going to break mach 1

vwracerdave Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:41 pm

It may not be legal in some states.

buggnnn Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:11 pm

I pull a 16ft lowboy and 18ft car hauler together a lot and they do fine. I am more concerned about how well the vw's track on the tow bar. Do they tend to sway a little or track pretty good. I just want to know is the tail going to wag the dog. It is legal where I am at.

MacLeod Willy Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:39 am

Just tell the cop , where the hell did that one come from

Q-Dog Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am

If the car drives OK, it should tow OK. I wouldn't flat tow any car that I haven't driven first.

pyrOman Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:57 am

MacLeod Willy wrote: Just tell the cop , where the hell did that one come from

Cop wrote: Yeah, it followed you home, right? :roll:

:lol:

cdennisg Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

It can work, but make sure everything is right and tight. If your beetle tow bar is the style that fits loosely around the beam with a U-shaped pocket and a bolt over the top, make sure to snug it up tight to the car/beam with a ratchet strap or something. That sloppy fit will cause the car to sway back and for. They work much better when everything is snugged up.

As has been said already, it may not be legal where you live, or where you need to tow.

vwracerdave Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:38 am

If the Bug drives straight it will tow straight. If the alignment on the Bug is screwed up it will not tow straight. I absolutely would not consider doing it unless the 1st trailer had full electric brakes.

It is my understanding that in Oklahoma you can only pull two trailers together if the first one must be a 5th wheel trailer. It is my understanding you can not pull two bumper hitch trailers together. The overall maximum combined length can not exceed 70'

B52Gunner Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:43 am

I bet we see a picture of this set up rolling down the highway on one of those "crazy crap I saw today" websites...

Right next to the photo of the guy with 65 sheets of plywood roof loaded on his smart car :shock:

Aussiebug Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Here in Australia (every state) it is absolutely illegal to tow more than one trailer/vehicle behind any car or small truck.

The only time you can tow more than one trailer is with a road train or B-double truck combo especially designed for it, and the truck must have a tonnage rating appropriate to the job (I drive trucks for a living).

So check with your local registration people FIRST, or the cops will be pulling out their fine books with glee.

Bret2094 Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:08 am

LOOOOOL i thought of this a couple years ago and wrote it off as madness. Please dont die, or send a crappy old super beetle flying into oncoming traffic. I assume you will be using good tires on the one with a tow bar? blowouts on a bug arent fun, and pulling one is even less enjoyable.

Be safe

Bret

cdennisg Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:57 am

This past summer I sold a 58 bus to a guy from CA. He drove up here to trailer it home. He stopped near Portland OR to buy another bus, which he then put on the trailer and put the 58 on a dolly behind the trailer. He called to ask me if I thought it was a good idea. I said emphatically NO! That bus hadn't rolled more than a few feet at a time in a couple of decades. He did it anyway, and drove 800 miles without incident. Amazing.

andk5591 Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:55 am

REAL IMPORTANT - bad steering stabilizer will really screw you up. Hooked one up on the tow bar and it jerked violently left and right on any turns.