TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Full flow and using a press in plug rather than tapped? Page: 1, 2  Next
Superman74 Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:58 am

So I bought a case that has been full flowed except for the oil galley leaving the pump. When my last engine was stolen I lost all my taps and such with it. Does anyone know if there is, and where to source, press in plugs for the main galley and the oil pump?

[email protected] Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:17 am

Superman74 wrote: So I bought a case that has been full flowed except for the oil galley leaving the pump. When my last engine was stolen I lost all my taps and such with it. Does anyone know if there is, and where to source, press in plugs for the main galley and the oil pump?

Even if there is, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Multi69s Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 pm

X2

Even if there were plugs available, I would be very concerned if they are installed correctly. After all, they are a press in fit. How would you know that you didn't deform the plug, install it crooked, or if it was even tight enough in the bore. I think that the potential consequences (immediate loss of all oil) would make any monetary savings invalid.

bluebus86 Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Borrow a tap, take the case to a shop, what ever. I know taps that size are pricey, but you need to tap that hole, the price of a new motor when the plug pops and you instantly loose ALL oil pressure will make the threaded hole and pipe plug seem very cheap, even if you have to buy a tap.

sorry some douche bag ripped you off, that sucks.

In performance motors even the factory plugs are generally replaced with threaded plugs, for good reason, they can leak, or pop out.

Hotrodvw Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Seriously?? Press In??

Thing_Man73 Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:44 pm

Multi69s wrote: X2

Even if there were plugs available, I would be very concerned if they are installed correctly. After all, they are a press in fit. How would you know that you didn't deform the plug, install it crooked, or if it was even tight enough in the bore. I think that the potential consequences (immediate loss of all oil) would make any monetary savings invalid.

Wait a minute, am I missing something. There is a hole between the oil pump and the case in normal operation, if you put a plug (of any kind) in those holes it blocks off the flow. I can not figure out how the plugs could go anywhere that could cause "immediate loss of all oil" it is still going to go out the front cover. You might get a little seepage around the pump body near the holes but what else? :?

bluebus86 Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Thing_Man73 wrote: Multi69s wrote: X2

Wait a minute, am I missing something. There is a hole between the oil pump and the case in normal operation, if you put a plug (of any kind) in those holes it blocks off the flow. I can not figure out how the plugs could go anywhere that could cause "immediate loss of all oil" it is still going to go out the front cover. You might get a little seepage around the pump body near the holes but what else? :?

His last sentence talks of plugS (plural) for both main galley and oil pump. usually the plug on the pump and the main galley are both threaded.

Thing_Man73 Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:18 pm

bluebus86 wrote: Thing_Man73 wrote: Multi69s wrote: X2

His last sentence talks of plugS (plural) for both main galley and oil pump. usually the plug on the pump and the main galley are both threaded.

I know, but if they are pressed in where are they going to go? There is no way they can blow out and cause "immediate loss of all oil" I always tap and plug the case but I also know that the last BugPack pump I bought had a press-in plug for the pump. I just wanted to point out that not everyone seems knows how the oil flows in an engine when they make these comments.

Multi69s Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Read The Whole Thread Before You Pass Judgment. I don't care about the oil pump, However, if the Main Galley plug blows, you have a problem.

Thing_Man73 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Multi69s wrote: Read The Whole Thread Before You Pass Judgment. I don't care about the oil pump, However, if the Main Galley plug blows, you have a problem.

I did read the entire post! He said it was Full Flowed!! "full flowed except for the oil galley leaving the pump" What Galley are you talking about? There is only ONE that I know of.

modok Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't see a problem with the idea, except I'd want to have a step in the passage so the plug cannot go way down in there where you could never get it back.

That oil passage is almost perfect size for a 1/4 pipe tap, so there isn't much to complain about.

Bajaman65 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:23 pm

That's what I use, a 1/4" pipe tap in the case and a short pipe plug. The pump is a little harder to do because of the depth, it's hard to get a tap deep enough.

bugguy1967 Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Mail me your pump housing and I'll return it tapped. Just p/m me if interested.

esde Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:06 pm

I am guessing he's talking about the old pump outlet, but the case side. If you don't plug the case, and the pump is a lousy fit, you can have a pressure leak back into the sump. I have full flowed a few assembled engines, a delicate operation for sure. On one I didn't have a short tap to start that bore, and used a small brass freeze plug left over from my ford 302/ 5.0 days. It tapped in just perfectly. I wouldn't trust it 100% if the oil pump didn't block it from being spit back out though..

jason Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 pm

I've always just plugged the pump. It's not going to leak anymore than if you didn't have full flow. Poor fit is a poor fit. If it's leaking on the output side its probably leaking on the intake side sucking air.

[email protected] Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:27 pm

when we full flow we plug the pump outlet AND the case where the pump pushes the oil into. If you don't you can have a pressure leak there around the pump body from the case side.

APPLEGREENVW Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:26 am

bugguy1967 wrote: Mail me your pump housing and I'll return it tapped. Just p/m me if interested.

Did you use a reamer first? or tap only.

Greezy Joe Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:45 am

I have 2 taps for the pump, 1 is a full length tap and the other is cut off to get it far enough into the pump, I always tap and plug the case on a full flow. It is best to tap and plug all galley plugs as you can clean out all the swarf from the case. If the case has been clearanced for stroke and cut for big bores there is a bunch of shavings everywhere.

Superman74 Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:26 am

Well when I sent my case out to Mark with the pump, taps, and such. He said he was going to press in the plugs. I suppose I got the wires crossed somehow. But after that case and everything with it was stolen I bought an aftermarket mag case and pump. Everything but the main oil galley and the new pump passages were threaded. Never thought about crooked plugs or what not. The local machine shops here do not full flow cases, and look at me weird when I mention "Hoovers" name, so I have been working with the folks i have met here. There is a well known buggy maker here, -but they have a habit of talking down their nose to folks. Anyhow, I think buying taps and plugs again is cheaper than sending the case and pump out again.

[email protected] Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:56 am

while not completely local, Jbbugs in Jensen Beach knows what he's doing!

Some of this confusion is because some full flow covers come packaged with an aluminum plug. While we throw those away, you know a lot of guys use that plug to put into the pump outlet, instead of drill/tap/plug.