TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bench engine stand question
joemama Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:48 pm

when I bolt it up to the motor, should I go across the bottom, the top, or diagonally to grab one top, and one bottom bolt? I started to put it on the bottom, but it seems the motor would try bend the attachment pads down and out.

Glenn Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:58 pm

It's goes on the 3-4 (left) side.

joemama Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 pm

thank you.

VolkDubz Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:54 am

Glenn wrote: It's goes on the 3-4 (left) side.

Glad I read this before posting a new thread...... Thanks Glenn!

Cusser Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:15 am

And if your VW bench engine stand is really a bench model - like mine is: make sure that your workbench is
(1) strong enough to handle the load (and hanging off the edge creates torque, force x distance) and
(2) heavy enough or bolted down so the engine weight doesn't cause it to tip
(3) remember that the engine weighs more as more stuff gets bolted on

Don't ask me too much about #1: mid-1980s my bench was on my back patio, but maybe the last foot (long edge) was not protected from the sun and rain. After a few years it had weakened, and when I bolted the heat exchangers on, became too heavy and started to break off the edge, engine tipped and I believe heat exchangers hit the ground, but no damage. So I had to "shorten" that bench. Since 1988 that workbench has been inside my garage at "new" place, and I've since recovered that bench with a thin sheet of masonite.

mcmscott Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 am

Don't mean to sound like an ass, even tho I'm good at it, but if you can't figure out how to put an engine on a stand, should you even attempt to work on it?

Just sayin............

jason Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 am

Seems to me he was more concerned about the bending. Just saying.

mark tucker Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

mcmscott wrote: Don't mean to sound like an ass, even tho I'm good at it, but if you can't figure out how to put an engine on a stand, should you even attempt to work on it?

Just sayin............ :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :wink: :idea: just waite till he trys to split the case with it on the top or bottom.