TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 65 notchback rear disk.
rawrods Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I've done so many search's I've confused my self...lol. I Know I cant find blank drums for my wide 5 rear drums but I like rear disk on my cars any ways. Plus I need a little more room for my rear wheels and tires. So can some one confirm this is the kit im looking for and has anyone else used this kit. I already have front disk done by the PO for fuch wheels.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4623

flyinglow94 Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:19 am

Do you have a Porsche 5 lug wheels for this kit you want? The type 3 rear drums work very well I would not change to disc unless you really need to. I had converted mine just because I received a smoaken deal on them but they (in my opinion) are not as good as the stock drums, you can also use super beetle front shoes and wheel cylinders for type 3 rear drums. I would just find a good set of late 66-73 type 3 rear drums (make sure they are in spec.) and hubs and run them, they bolt right on with no mod, just have them drilled for the Porsche pattern. If your looking for more room under the rear pot short axles like this post. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327038

rawrods Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:39 am

Interesting on the super beetle parts, I did not see that one in the search. Yes I already have the wheels and they stick out past the new fenders. The old rear fenders had been pushed out for more room. I was not ready to do the short axle yet so the super beetle parts Ill look into. I just need the room the Porsche spacers are taking up to make the wheels fit better.

Thanks for reply.

Air-Cooled Head Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:00 am

It's been a few years, but I think, but don't remember for sure, that is the same kit I used on my 63 Notch.
What I do remember was catching heck getting everything tucked in.
Perhaps it was the offset of the wheels, but 7.5 inch tires rubbed the inside of the outer fender. The short axle conversion make it rub against the inner fender where it bulges over the top shock mount.
I think I went back to the long axle and maybe 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacers. Still a tight fit.
Picture.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/449110.jpg

Please post up the SB info you dig up. I'd be very interested.

Erik G Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:27 am

for what it's worth, the empi style rear disk brake kits suck. squeeks you can't get rid of, calipers that move around when you hit the brakes, etc. Honestly, I would consider them show only, I know a couple people that have or plan to go back to re-drilled drums on the rear, dissatisfied with the empi and AC kits

W1K1 Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:49 pm

I bought the empi wide 5 rears this year with the HD mounts, they are solid.
They are not a direct bolt on though, lots of fiddling with brake lines because they are a bug kit. I have some 90 degree fittings on order to replace the big loop in the lines I have now.

They are better than the drums in daily driving for me, the rain, or slush does not affect braking near as much as the drums.

rawrods Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Well I went ahead and got some short axle and axle tubes from a member on here. I have the 17x7's all around on my car and the PO slammed the car and that made it just as bad. For now I'll do the short axles and bring the car up 2 clicks on the inners and see what that does. I would like to drive it and find all the problems before I pull it down for a total rebuild. Hoping air ride down the road.