TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Multi-Piece Headliner problem
Shams Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 am

Hello Guys

I bought a 1963 Bug and got some issue wit the Interior

I need to know What are the dimensions Of the Multi-piece Headliner
I can't Buy it Online As I Am in the Middle East , and the Overall Cost is very Expensive
And the Interior People here Only Do the Original One Piece Style
I got the Videos From Chris Vallone Youtube Channel But i need the exact Dimensions ?

Any Help Here

panicman Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:25 am

I hate to see a post go unanswered, but I can't give you exactly what you are asking...

It's trickier than just having measurements. You'll need to attach plastic or heavy cardboard retainer strips at the edges of your pieces, and you'll need wind lace for the B pillar along the door jamb. You can get a good idea of the placement of these perhaps by watching that video and taking careful note of how these materials are attached to the cloth. If you pulled a old headliner, you could take the hard to source parts carefully off of that, and get a basic idea of the size pieces you will need.

As for measurements, you just need enough material to span the interior surfaces and attach to them. So, you don't need exact dimensions, you really need EXTRA MATERIAL. And then be prepared to make several attempts and/or adjustments with each piece. Have sharp scissors, and trim the pieces to exact fit as you install them. Follow the video as you do it. The hard part will be stitching the roof section and getting the plastic retainers placed exactly where they need to go so you get the proper tension in the material without ripping or pulling out of shape.

If you figure out a way to do this, you'll have my appreciation. It's a vexing job even with the kit and the tutorial video.... Especially if you've never done one- like me.

You'll need:

The roof section with retainer strips along all edges to clip into the front and side upper members, as well as sleeves for the headliner bows

The c-pillar/upper side member pieces with plastic strip at the rear for the grippers

The b pillar pieces with wind lace for each side

The rear window, which is just a big fabric square with nothing attached (and the toughest part to install correctly!)

Pieces to fit under the rear windows to bridge between the c and b pillar cloth.

Cotton or synthetic batting, appropriate interior adhesive, clips, very sharp clean scissors, various clean tools for tucking into 4-6 inch recesses.

Installation pictures:

I hope this helps some. As you can see, you get the fabric in place, attach it, and only then cutoff the extra material.

nibnib03 Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:38 pm

I also need the original beetle Multi Piece Headliner dimensions I understand it will be mostly a trial and error type thing but im looking for somewhere to start. I only plan on doing the overhead section with the bows so I need the overall measurements of that section(edge of the material to the edge of the material), and the measurements from stitching to stitching so i can add the plastic retainers on all 4 sides.