TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Installing Rear Interior Panels on our 66Bug
AZ66Bug Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:43 pm

We have gotten to the point where we need to install the rear interior panels on our 66 bug. We have the headliner installed - (WHEW - what a bear that was!!) and our door panels are from Sewfine. Very nice looking panels. Seems like it should be fairly straightforward to insert the little pins on the door panel and then plug them into the 6 or 7 holes in the body of the car. Not so much, however. Each pin can be installed in at least 4 different ways around the circumference of the hole in the panel - actually the choices are infinite! And the exact position is of course critical because the receiving holes in the body are set. Most of the pins on the original door panel were missing and there is no way to tell what their orientation was around the panel holes. We could try every possible combination on the 6 or 7 holes but there must be a better way. The difficulty is that one cannot see how the holes in the body match up with the pins on the panel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to proceed? I think the front door panels will be easier because they are larger and one can actually see how to match up the pins and the holes a few at a time. No such visibility on the rear panels.

VOLKSWAGNUT Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:48 pm

Its been a while for me.. but.... I think the correct orientation of the clips is slide them on clocked (located) with the protruding tang closest to the outside edge all the way around no matter the hole position.
Ones that need tweaking to fit...can simply be moved with a slide of the finger...

60ragtop Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 pm

just like Ken said (type 3 panel shown but same idea.
Hold them up and eyeball then rotate clips as necessary to line them up with holes

grandpa pete Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Make a craft paper pattern of the holes if you want exact fit .

Tim Donahoe Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 pm

If you use the rubber cups, grease them with silicone grease--for starters. Then start at the bottom of the panel, and work your way to the top. Don't bang them in. Use a flashlight to look in the small space as you're doing this.

Take into account that the corners will usually want a 2 o'clock angle of the clip, while the others just sort of go straight out.

Tim

AZ66Bug Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:10 pm

This all makes sense and will give it a go next week.

Pete, we thought about a template but the space is kinda tight along the side of the pillar - may have put a bit too much padding there. We would need something stiffer and then we still end up with the same problem of locating the holes with something covering it. We will try as noted and work from the bottom up.

Tim, what do you mean by the rubber cups? Are you suggesting there was an insert in those holes in the body? Did not see anything when taking the old panel off - but then it was mostly disconnected to begin with.

61SNRF Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Whether it makes it easier or not, I will add that the OG rear panels taken off my '66 didn't have clips in all the holes, and it was evident they never did either. IIRC the front/lower two or three are left out, probably because with the seat installed they are redundant.

They were not like the front door panel clips either, but were the earlier style like these...

Aynthm Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:02 am

VELCRO works great !!!

AZ66Bug Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:23 am

Aynthm wrote: VELCRO works great !!!

Now that is creative thinking :D The only thing I would worry about is the heat here in AZ causing the backing glue on the velcro to let loose

Aynthm Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 am

AZ66Bug wrote: Aynthm wrote: VELCRO works great !!!

Now that is creative thinking :D The only thing I would worry about is the heat here in AZ causing the backing glue on the velcro to let loose

That's why I attached the velcro strips using extra daubs of SUPERGLUE on all concerned surfaces... :)))

Cusser Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:36 am

The rear panels on my '71 Convertible have been off exactly once in 43 years; I took them off to clean/grease the window regulators, as one is real expensive and the other is NLA as new. And I think I re-glued some of the vinyl onto the board.

I remember that the rear of the panels didn't fit/mount as neat as it should've, maybe the vinyl had gotten hot and stretched a little. In Arizona? Never !

Tim Donahoe Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:31 pm

AZ, I've only done this job a few times, I had a 1968 and a 1969 bug, but I only did the door panels, from what I remember (and that was long ago and I can't remember if they had those rubber cups or not). However, I just did my 1974 a short while back, and the holes in the doors and quarters had rubber cups in them. I suppose when they went over to the newer clips, it seemed necessary. Anyway, these cups make the clips nice and snug. But it's a good idea to take a Q-Tip and dip it in a little Sil-Glide (silicone grease, like the kind for setting the rubber seals in your trunk or deck lid) and then the clips slide in real easy--and come out easier, too.

By the way, when I said to position the corner clips at a 2 o'clock angle, that's if you're looking at the panel from the covered side. Looking at the side, contacting the interior quarter, the corner clips would be at 10 o'clock.

Tim

Dynaflash Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Yes as said above the clips go to the outside and yes use lube on the boots and don't bang on the panel. Start at bottom and look with light to see the alignment. I just did it and it is ok once you get started

AZ66Bug Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Dynaflash wrote: Yes as said above the clips go to the outside and yes use lube on the boots and don't bang on the panel. Start at bottom and look with light to see the alignment. I just did it and it is ok once you get started

So you are confirming that there should be boots in the holes on the car? None in there when we took it apart. Already realized that the clips we got with the panels are the newer style and are impossible to get into the holes even without a boot. The originals were like those in 61SNFR's post above. May need to crimp those aftermarket ones a bit. I see that WW as the older style but they are out of stock.

The Volkswagen Ranch Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:50 pm

If the new panels are thicker than OEM, you might try inserting a flathead screwdriver inside, against the board and the clip and prying them open a little...makes it easier to move them around. Also, you could remove some of the vinyl/fabric with a razor blade beneath the clip against the backer to gain some room to move the clips around...I have some pics of the original clips attached to my wife's 63 vert rear quarters, but for the life of me, can't figure out how to attach to this to send to you....pm me with your regular email address and I get the pics to you. Bob[/img][/list]