TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: San Bernardino County, California library
Wasted youth Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 pm

Today, while visiting the Needles branch of the library, I took the opportunity to request the library purchase the following manuals, as none of these showed in the on-line card catalogue:

Bentley Baywindow Bus shop manual
Bentley Vanagon shop manual
and
Fletcher Gillett's Volkswagen Bay Transporter restoration manual

Can't say how this will turn out, but they had a banner asking for suggested reading purchases. :D

kreemoweet Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Your vote is as good as anyone else's, and maybe even better. Most auto repair manuals in my town's library are kept
"under the counter", due to an extremely high theft rate.

airschooled Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

That's great! Keep us posted so we can ILL request them and steal them from you. :lol:

DenverB Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Nice! I'm actually a librarian myself and stuff like this is exactly what we like to see from the public: books you'll actually use! I personally have replenished our system's Volkswagen repair manuals, KYVWA books and got in six or seven copies of Fletcher's book too...

Made quite a few new friends when people come up to the reference desk asking for books on repairing an old VW, actually. There's a 15-year-old who got a bug from his uncle that is so jazzed up on it and he updates me all the time with photos.

shiningstar76 Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:01 pm

I can't say that I've ever seen the fletcher book. Should I own it?

Tcash Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:10 pm

shiningstar76 wrote: I can't say that I've ever seen the fletcher book. Should I own it?

New Bay window restoration manual.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0857332457/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

raygreenwood Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Tcash wrote: shiningstar76 wrote: I can't say that I've ever seen the fletcher book. Should I own it?

New Bay window restoration manual.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0857332457/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats it! :shock: .....thats where he gets its all........TCash....your a freakin librarian....aren't you?.......the Sambrarian....... :lol:
Ray

Wasted youth Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:50 am

Thinking about this on the way home it occurred to me that I should solicit the Samba community for further VW book suggestions that I can give the librarian.

Anyone?

airschooled Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:53 am

Wasted youth wrote: Thinking about this on the way home it occurred to me that I should solicit the Samba community for further VW book suggestions that I can give the librarian.

Anyone?

A Bus Will Take You There - Johnny Bock

jtauxe Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 am

Tom Wilson's engine book comes to mind.

Wasted youth Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:47 am

I spoke with the librarian today, and both of the Bentley manuals I suggested (Vanagon and Baywindow green books) were not supplied by the approved vendor. :(

However... she said the third book I suggested was approved:

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Transporter-Resto...94RSPR6HJS

She said check back in about three weeks. :D

Wasted youth Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:19 pm

I was notified by the Needles branch librarian that the approved book that I requested was available for checkout. :D

So I am now reviewing the Volkswagen Bay Transporter Restoration Manual by Fletcher Gillett. Looks great so far! The library bought the hardcover edition.

Total score!

obx71super Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Def an awesome book, bought a copy of it myself. Now if I can just get my body guy to read it!

timvw7476 Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:51 pm

The Muir Book I want to see again included a memory from
Peter Coyote, running a VW Beetle in San Francisco with help from
said book.
It was the funniest few paragraphs I have ever come across.
It was also scrubbed from later editions.....
Tragic.

Wildthings Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:02 am

Wasted youth wrote: I spoke with the librarian today, and both of the Bentley manuals I suggested (Vanagon and Baywindow green books) were not supplied by the approved vendor.

Maybe you should suggest that she try Amazon.com, though I am sure that since they are government run there is probably some reason they can't buy from anyone that sells books in the free market. :cry:

madmike Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:27 am

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell :wink: