TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1993 Eurovan value
eurobliss9 Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:49 pm

HI, I'm new to the forum. I have a 1993 Eurovan M/V 5 cylinder, 5 speed with 197,000 miles that stopped because timing belt went. This van has been well maintained. I'm not sure how timing belt was overlooked but it was (I depend on mechanics to let me know ). Other than the obvious it is in good condition. It will need some work and likely a rebuild. Mechanic and others have said this type of van is rare and still has value. Does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? I want to place an ad. Thank you~

Gruppe B Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:11 pm

IIRC the engine is non contact meaning that all you need to do is replace the timing belt, water pump and idle pulleys (optional) and be back on the road.

Does the MV have a poptop roof?

Gruppe B Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:11 pm

IIRC the engine is non contact meaning that all you need to do is replace the timing belt, water pump and idle pulleys (optional) and be back on the road.

Does the MV have a poptop roof?

eurobliss9 Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:44 pm

Mechanic says it is a interference engine (Audi 5 cylinder). Is that the same as 'contact?' so needs more than timing belt. Says it will smoke in 6 months if not rebuilt, that is replacing the head gasket, piston work, etc. because it will be new upper engine, old bottom engine. Then the timing belt, etc estimate is 1800.

m_brown_ Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Need way more info and pictures to even get a ballpark, but I'll start.

It's worth between $500-$10000. Depends on a few things.

Gruppe B Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:24 pm

eurobliss9 wrote: Mechanic says it is a interference engine (Audi 5 cylinder). Is that the same as 'contact?' so needs more than timing belt. Says it will smoke in 6 months if not rebuilt, that is replacing the head gasket, piston work, etc. because it will be new upper engine, old bottom engine. Then the timing belt, etc estimate is 1800.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-154265--.html
See link above, others are also reporting that the 1993 Eurovan is not a contact or interference engine. You probably only need to throw on a timing belt.