TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1971 Squareback Fuel Pump
jniderost Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Hello,

After finally being able to install my new headliner which started as a windshield replacement project, it was time to start the car up again. After having a friend look at it, he was able to get the car to turn over, however there is no fuel going to the engine as proof of not seeing any fuel in the fuel filter. He determined that I need to purchase a new fuel pump. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what fuel pump I need? Thanks a bunch!

Dfasty Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:57 pm

is the car still FI

jniderost Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:32 pm

No, it has been changed to a dual carb setup.

Mike Fisher Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Looks like the older mechanical fuel pump with the plastic shielding. It could be worn out!

jniderost Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Gotcha! Thanks for the picture. I went to look at mine, and there is nothing there. I bought this one:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/113127025B.html

Along with a fuel pump rod. Is that all the parts I need?

Mike Fisher Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:54 pm

It should come with a couple gaskets? You add the second gasket if your fuel pressure is too high.

Bobnotch Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:53 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: It should come with a couple gaskets? You add the second gasket if your fuel pressure is too high.

Yes, that pump will work. Like Mike said, it should come with a gasket. You really don't need a new pump push rod though. I'd put a pressure gauge in line out of the pump though, as we've been seeing more stock style pumps putting out too much pressure lately. One way of reducing pressure, is like how Mike suggested with extra gaskets (Vw's approved method).