TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2 seater frame into truggy like rail?
coolsnake88 Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:00 pm

anyone seen or done a conversion on a 2 seater vw style frame into a v6 or v8 front mounted with a solid axle in the rear? pretty much like how sandrocket does it.

dustymojave Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:29 am

It COULD be done...
But it would be far easier and less cost to start from scratch and build a frame to suit. Because you would need to cut away and replace so much of a VW buggy frame to fit the drivetrain and totally different suspension. About all that would be left would be part of the cockpit area.

Oh, and BTW...
Orange County California, Orange County Florida, or Orange County New York?

coolsnake88 Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 pm

orange county, ca.. fixed it

yea i know it would be best to start from scratch.. but sometimes i see frames with paper work for cheap. and i figured the rear suspension would be easy to set up.. i just wanted to see what has been done on the front side...

Dale M. Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Ahem.... frames with paper work only apply to IF you keep original recognizable design... IE VW BODY... Says nothing about chassis....

IF you change body style a lot so it is no longer looking like a beetle, then it becomes a SPCN (SPecial CoNstruction)...

IT is also against state and federal law to move or tamper with VIN numbers with out proper authorization...

If you want a truggy, buy a rolled JEEP or compact FWD pickup and mod chassis to fit VW body wheelbase...

Fellow locally, recently advertised two Jeep "wrecks" for sale, so they are available....

Dale