TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom Squareback RINKER DINKER STINKER Whereabouts
Sk3l3t0r Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:33 am

I'm reaching out to the VW community in hope that someone may know the ultimate fate of a car that was very dear to me when I was a kid.

A family friend had made an awesome custom 1969 Squareback in the early 1980's and was kind enough to name the car for me as a kid.

The Rinker Dinker Stinker (don't ask) went to several shows but seems to have fallen off the map. Last information I found the car was sold and stripped down, then possible lost to a bank.

Does anyone know anything about this car? I would love to know that it is still out there somewhere.

germanstyle Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:51 am

last i remeber hearing about it was that one of the GFK dudes had it

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...ults=posts

Sk3l3t0r Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 am

Sadly it doesn't seem to be so from what I have read in the forums. I know there was a Rinker Dinker Stinker II project at one point. Also there was a Squareback in Reno back in 2012 that I posted that could be related, but I don't have much information there.

germanstyle Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:55 am

i'm sure someone who knows will chime in

folkseca Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Legend has it that the guy that bought it from Pauly had it at his house wich he lost to forclosure and when he went to try and pick up his stuff the bank had allready sent a clean up crew and they had sent the Stinker to SCRAP :shock:

Sk3l3t0r Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:19 pm

That's awful. :(

I have seen a forum post suggesting this could be the case. I'm curious if the car could be tracked down by VIN. I image if it did survive somehow that may be the only way to track it down.

Seriously hope it wasn't crushed and scrapped.

type3nut64 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

maybe time for part II? I have louvered hood as well.

Rich's 50 Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:03 pm

I haven't seen that one for along time...Maybe the early 90's...Are you the og builder?

type3nut64 Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 am

i just picked this up recently from a guy in the santa monica area. Cut the rear hatch and started tinkering on it. Wont get much love for a while though. I have been told it looks like the RSD, just needs some safaris and i could see it. I do have louvered hood i plan to put on it and louvered sections to put the rear hatch/tailgate.

Skim Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Paul u remember in the 90's it resurfaced and was primered on a trailer at Pomona for like 1500 bucks. I kick myself for not buying it. GFK built during the mini truck heyday. Running temps pauly was an innovator. Still is as a matter of fact.

Rich's 50 Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:44 am

There is more than that missing like the dash Type3nut64 but it's still cool.

folkseca Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:00 am

Skim wrote: Paul u remember in the 90's it resurfaced and was primered on a trailer at Pomona for like 1500 bucks. I kick myself for not buying it. GFK built during the mini truck heyday. Running temps pauly was an innovator. Still is as a matter of fact.

Yeah it was still Paully's that day, his homie took it too Pomona for him.. theres a pic of it somewhere all Primered..I had the cash to buy it that day but no where to store it so I passed...SUCKS

type3nut64 Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:25 am

sorry i wasnt saying this was it. The guy i bought it from cut the roof off and it was sitting next to the car when i got. It has been getting refrenced and recomended that i build a look a like or sequal.

I was at pomona when the primered one was on the trailer for 2000. it had diffrent hood and front feenders. OG RSD had freenched headlights and louvered hood. And the dash had diifrent guaages i believe. not sure that was the same one. Although i was contacted by a guy on instagram that said he knew a guy tha thad a car like this and bught a louvered hood from him?

Skim in the show us your 80s 90s customs thread there were a couple of pics of it at pomona.

I am planning on used rear quarter windows from the square and making a split windsheild used type 3 parts. this dash looks like shit so it will be replaced with something.

type3nut64 Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:28 am

i just read folkseca comment that it was still pauls at pomona. just with a few changes i guess.

type3nut64 Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:53 am

progress.