TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What make is this super diff?
MrpeteSWE Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 am

As topic, can anyone see who manufactured this super diff? No name or number that I can see.

It looks a bit different from the super diffs I get when googling, it doesn't have the rough surface, it's lathed smooth.

I found it in a AS transmission I bought a couple of days ago.. the previous owner doesn't know, the guy before him got it done (or did it).

It has 15/10 gears, 4 spider gears.

Thanks /// Peter

mark tucker Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:39 pm

I dont no but it looks sweet.

MrpeteSWE Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 pm

Yeah, it does look sweet, not the rough surface as used to.. I haven't found a single one that looks the same.. Would be interesting to know..

I'm trying to get in contact with the person that owned the gearbox before the guy I bought it from.. Maybe he has more information.

One reason I'm asking is that I want to make sure it's made for 15/10 gears and not 17/11 as most super diffs are. I'm not comfortable putting it together before I know for sure.

woodsbuggy Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Hopefully that is machined better than the Erco units that some of my friends tried to use a while back. It looks very similar to the China units that destroyed several transaxles when they blew out the side cover do to the spider gears not being on the same axis. We have learned that if it is not made in Germany, made by Crown or sold by Weddle it is an expensive part to use.
Good Luck
Kenric

vwracerdave Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Are there oiling holes drilled on the sides? They come undrilled because they do not know if it will be used in a forward bug transaxle or reversed for a mid engines sandrail or Bus.

gears Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:30 pm

Regardless of which side the diff is flipped, the oiling hole would be drilled the same.

MrpeteSWE Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:52 am

I have noo idea where it's made.. what manufacturers make the diff smooth everywhere and not the rough surface as I'm used to see..? That may narrow the possibilities..?

The diff is not drilled, but I'm going to drill, one larger hole angled against the way it spins (works a little as a shovel), other brands actually have a "shovel"

If the holes are 90 degree angled against the surface it wouldn't matter what way it spins, but if they are angled it helps if it spins in the right direction of the "shovel".

This diff has never been run, it's just mounted in the gearbox.

[email protected] Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:41 pm

The diffs from Erco, Weddle, and Makenzies have the cross shafts retained by roll pins that are parallel to the ring gear, and are usually around 6mm in diameter. I have come across diffs without oiling holes, and it appears like this is one that someone has chucked in a lathe, and smoothed out. I did some research a while back about the angles of cross shaft intersection between the 10/11 tooth diffs. The best I came up with was the 10 tooth was 96 degrees, and the 11 tooth was 94 degrees. Do you have both 15/10, and 17/11 tooth gearsets? The reasoning behind the cross shaft angle is to place the spider gears within the sidegears so they are meshing with the same teeth. With the 15/10 combo, if you put a side gear in one side of the diff, can you rotate it in such a way that all the teeth of the spider gears have a common tooth pointing up in the same manner? Or, do two sets of gears have one common tooth pointing up, and the opposite set of spiders seem to be laid over some? Here's a picture of a known 10 tooth cross shaft section on top, and a known 11 tooth cross shaft section on the bottom going through a common long shaft to show the difference in angle.

kcr Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 pm

That appears to be an older diff. It also appears to have 10 tooth spider gears. It is my understanding that some of these older diffs that have smooth machine work were made of chromoly.

I have seen dozens of them over the years and if the bearing registers are not worn out, they are a very high quality diff. The only draw back is the single clip groove for the end gear but you could machine it to accept double clips.

MrpeteSWE Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks for your thoughts and information. I don't have another super diff to compare the angles with.. but the guy who's going to build my transmission does.

That's correct, it has singla snap rings and no hump where you can machine for a "scoop" that catch oil for lubingvthe gears.

I'm going to check the alignment of the gears when rotating the side gear.

Dougy Dee Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:25 am

That looks like the diff I bought from Berg's in the early 90's.
They were out of snap ring retainer style and I ended up buying the screw in retainer style. Not long after Berg quit supplying Super Diffs. Something to do with accuracy/quality... I don't remember where they got them from..

mcmscott Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:07 am

I may be wrong, but I believe Saco made that diff. I have seen a couple of them. Nice parts.

gears Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:22 am

I think you're right. Since it's strong chromoly, I would hog out the biggest, baddest (multiple) oiling holes you can with a die grinder.

mark tucker Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:39 pm

any issues with too much oil pumped in by many scoops&sending it down the tubes&out??

raul arrese Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:59 pm

I would like to see some pics on these hole modifications ??

gears Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Mark, I don't think you'd have that problem. The biggest issue with these is getting enough oil in and keeping it there (so that it doesn't just centrifuge out). The stock open diff has huge windows, so the internals are continually bathed. You'll never duplicate that level of oiling, no matter what you do.

I'm 2,500 miles from any of my parts (and it's been decades since I've worked on a swing), but I have in my mind's eye where I'd like to carve holes. If I'm given permission to repost that owned photo, I'll make some marks.

MrpeteSWE Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:35 pm

I posted the photos of the differential at flat 4 racers on facebook. Some first thouht it's a Weddle billet super diff, but then someone said that it's AMS, but sold by Weddle.

The lubrication can be a problem, especially driving highway when keeping stable speed. Drilling at least 1 hole on each side 10-12mm (about 1/2") will help a lot.. try to make a scoop that catch oil when rotating.