TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Daily Commuter
Fastlife1K Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Good Afternoon all,

I am new to posting to this site so a little backstory for yall...I have been commuting about 90 miles a day for 4 days a week for my job mostly all freeway miles. I have a 2011 Silverado but commute in my wifes old 2000 celica which has been great...I also have a sportbike i use occasionally. I have been making this commute for 6 months now (through Houston). Before this i was stationed in South Georgia and used only my motorcycle for my Daily Driver and used it for about 6 years...I have always wanted a bug and the wife gave me the greenlight to get one so i wanted some of yall experience on getting one as a daily driver. I was hoping for some helpful insight. I am very good with cars and mechanically inclined. I did all the work on my bike never taking it to the shop and I do all the work on our vehicles. My budget for the VW would be around 4k at first and mainly need to find one with a reliable engine...cosmetics i dont care about right now (except no rust). Im ok with no a/c (bike was hot).

so...opinions?

My name is Mike and I am 25. just got out of the Military in June.

gt1953 Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:58 pm

The first thing is Houston and Humid ad some Hot in. You can have a VW Type 1 or type 3 with A/C. for a nice commuter. Living in Houston that would be on the list as well as a realiable engine. For your 4K by a used Honda. Honestly with that long of a commute, that 90 miles is it one way or round trip?

[email protected] Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Someone that likes to wrench are cars and has a backup a bug is a great daily driver. My bug is fun to drive something I haven't said about a vehicle since my 1968 Cutlass, but that was 1978 and it had a big engine, I went into the ditch a lot.

If there is a lot of stop and go traffic consider an autostick, which was VWs early automatic transmission. The autostick is not as lively but that clutch gets very heavy in traffic.

Also you live in Texas so there are lots of rust free candidates available, 4000 should get something fun and reliable.

Be sure to post pictures when you get the car so we can tell you all the little things that need attention.

Fastlife1K Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 pm

[email protected] wrote: Someone that likes to wrench are cars and has a backup a bug is a great daily driver. My bug is fun to drive something I haven't said about a vehicle since my 1968 Cutlass, but that was 1978 and it had a big engine, I went into the ditch a lot.

If there is a lot of stop and go traffic consider an autostick, which was VWs early automatic transmission. The autostick is not as lively but that clutch gets very heavy in traffic.

Also you live in Texas so there are lots of rust free candidates available, 4000 should get something fun and reliable.

Be sure to post pictures when you get the car so we can tell you all the little things that need attention.

Thank you for the feedback...the 90 miles is round trip front door to office. Not much traffic as i usually leave for the city about 540am and leave work after 7 pm on the days I work. And i do love to wrench its a fun hobby that wont ever get old! I do have a very reliable backup for when heavier repairs are required. Any specific things i need to avoid when searching? besides rust

Fastlife1K Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:01 pm

gt1953 wrote: The first thing is Houston and Humid ad some Hot in. You can have a VW Type 1 or type 3 with A/C. for a nice commuter. Living in Houston that would be on the list as well as a realiable engine. For your 4K by a used Honda. Honestly with that long of a commute, that 90 miles is it one way or round trip?

I am used to Houston's humidity this is my hometown so I am not too worried about a/c. Also my drive in is before 630am and after 7pm. My budget is flexible 4k is just a starting point. I appreciate the input

mountainkowboy Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 pm

I say go for it.....I drive 60 miles a day in my rattie 71 vert. It could use a "fresher" engine, and still needs some more TLC, but is reliable.

helowrench Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:57 am

I use my every day as a DD, and am up in Dallas.
Go for it.

The only real limitation is traffic speeds.
When I am in my Ghia, I have to be careful not to get on the tollways around here, as the minimum safe speed during some times is 80.
If you need any specifics, feel free to PM me as I do not check this forum too often.
Rob

Fastlife1K Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:23 am

Thanks for the replies! I am going to go for it as soon as I find one i like :) Been scouring craigslist

gt1953 Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:08 am

Do look at as many as you can. Purchase the most original unmolested car you can find in your region. They are parked out back if you catch my drift.

Fastlife1K Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:22 am

gt1953 wrote: Do look at as many as you can. Purchase the most original unmolested car you can find in your region. They are parked out back if you catch my drift.

Yeah I am not looking to buy some guys tuner experiment. Also, I am in no rush so thats good for me

Mike Fisher Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am

There is a nice '71 FI/AT squareback for sale on Portland, OR craigslist for $3500. I love my '69 FI/AT square.