TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: single port motor build help
68BAJAFUN Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:26 pm

I just bought a 68 Baja 2 weeks ago need some work and motor needs rebuilt its a stock 1970 1600 single port I was wondering how big of a motor a can go with single port heads I would like to use 87 slip in pistons and a stoker crank but how big of a stoker crank can I clearance at home and still work with the single port heads and what would I need to do to the heads
what cam and carb should I use

thanks in advance

FreeBug Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:27 am

Hi, first a few questions...

What kind of power do you want to be making, at what RPM?
What's your budget
Upon dis-assembly, how much of the original engine can be reused?

Perhaps then we can give you some reasonable ideas. Check out the "combos" post in the stickies.

68BAJAFUN Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:07 am

Its going to be a daily driver so just need some get up and go probably around 5000rpm i haven't took the motor apart yet im thinking ill need every thing but cases i have around 1000$ for it maybe a little more but im going to need oil cooler, filter and electronic ignition has a lot of free play

Cusser Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:30 am

For economy, it would be more efficient to use stock reground crankshaft instead of a stroker, and go to 1776cc or 1835cc since you'll be re-doing the bottom end anyway because of the excessive play.

1776cc or 1835cc with single port will provide plenty of additional power. Do the 1835cc "thin" 92mm cylinders hold up? I've been running the same set here in Arizona for at least 28 years now.

gt1953 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:21 am

Mild cam would be a nice addition. Add large valve heads, port them too. Full flow the case, add that oil filter.

Dan Ruddock Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 am

The first mod for a stock sp engine to be considered should be dual port heads, then we will talk about the other stuff.

Dan

68BAJAFUN Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm

do much do i port them out?

rockerarm Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:51 pm

First off, WELCOME.
I believe a highly regarded VW guy named Gary Berg, down in the city of Orange, had a similar idea. As I remember he built a 1700 (88mm x 69mm) single port with, maybe, Kadrons and was totally impressed. I don't know what other things the shop (Gene Berg Ent) did such as cam and compression was but Gary is here on the samba and is totally approachable.
Hope this helps, Bill.