TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Scumbags and Cattle Rustlers
glassbuggy Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:37 am

Today's news highlights the sad story of an elderly couple who placed a wanted ad for a 66 mustang, they are missing, their car was found submerged and a dubious punk is in jail under suspicion. This leads me to the topic. In our travels as hobbyists you and I have traveled hill and dale for every part imaginable with zest and excitement while never considering the wolf behind the tree line. What shady stories can you share here amongst your brothers?

Mike Fisher Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:59 pm

We drove down from Redding & tried to buy some pot on Haight/Ashbury one night in '69. The sellers we found put both of us in the front seat of a '60's bug to go get a $70 bag of pot. 2 blocks up from Haight the back seat guy put a chrome automatic pistol on us! They pushed us out on the sidewalk without our $70. :roll:

vwracerdave Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:19 pm

I read local news story where a man agreed to buy an item listed on Craigslist for $600. The seller said he would meet him at "X" parking lot for the sale. When the man got there he was robbed at gunpoint of the $600 cash.

Letterman7 Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:51 pm

There's quite a few robbed at gunpoint stories for less than $600 around here. I'm next to a quite depressed 3rd class city, and the drug trade is rampant. I rarely buy something off CL, but if it's something I really want (like, my latest acquisition - an '82 Corvette), I take my 6'1" 300 pound football player built neighbor with me.. just in case. And if it really looks shady, and I'm by myself, I simply turn around and go home. There's nothing I need that bad to be worth dying for.

skills@eurocarsplus Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:14 pm

my mother in law, father in law, and I went to go look at a 90 triple white cabby for my mother in laws soon to be daughter in law. her cabby was stolen while being repaired (as in, the shop stole it, sold it to another customer)

anyway, they wanted to surprise her with this car as a wedding gift. found it here on the samba and made arrangements to go look at it.

it was buried deep, deep in the bowels of some shithole factory converted to storage units in a bad part central Connecticut.

anyway, I don't think the guy expected 3 people to turn up, let alone my father in law who is a pretty big dude. when we got in the car to leave, my father in law pulled a .45 out of his pocket and said "just in case the deal went sideways, I brought my heater" I laughed and pulled out my .357.

the dude was shady, but the city in which it was located was the red flag. in the end, we walked away from the deal over like 300.00. kinda glad, the car was a piece of shit.

EverettB Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:57 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: when we got in the car to leave, my father in law pulled a .45 out of his pocket and said "just in case the deal went sideways, I brought my heater" I laughed and pulled out my .357.
LOL

drscope Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:18 pm

BIG problem in the Baltimore area is selling motorcycles on CL.

They come look at the bike, do the deal, pay you the money, get the title signed and take it away. As soon as they turn the corner, their buddies show up and rob you of the cash.

Cops won't do anything to connect the two and treat it simply as a robbery which means it never gets investigated and you never get your stuff back.

crukab Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 am

drscope wrote: BIG problem in the Baltimore area is selling motorcycles on CL.

They come look at the bike, do the deal, pay you the money, get the title signed and take it away. As soon as they turn the corner, their buddies show up and rob you of the cash.

Cops won't do anything to connect the two and treat it simply as a robbery which means it never gets investigated and you never get your stuff back.

Not really a suprise for "Bal more" though ??

I'd do the "bring some BIG friends & some visable heat" to be on the safe side.

glassbuggy Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:42 am

WOW. Honestly didn't think there would be many replies to this post. A sad commentary to the world we live in.

drscope Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:14 pm

crukab wrote: drscope wrote: BIG problem in the Baltimore area is selling motorcycles on CL.

Not really a suprise for "Bal more" though ??

I'd do the "bring some BIG friends & some visable heat" to be on the safe side.

If it was just in the city with it's 300 plus murders a year it would be expected. But the problem is that the suburbs and county surrounding the city are a whole different world. Mostly crime free and filled with respectable working folks who live a sheltered life.

They are the ones getting clobbered. They innocently list their toy on CL and become the victim of evil they couldn't imagine ever existed.

chaosisme Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: We drove down from Redding & tried to buy some pot on Haight/Ashbury one night in '69. The sellers we found put both of us in the front seat of a '60's bug to go get a $70 bag of pot. 2 blocks up from Haight the back seat guy put a chrome automatic pistol on us! They pushed us out on the sidewalk without our $70. :roll:

Pot was that expensive back then?

Mike Fisher Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 pm

chaosisme wrote: Mike Fisher wrote: We drove down from Redding & tried to buy some pot on Haight/Ashbury one night in '69. The sellers we found put both of us in the front seat of a '60's bug to go get a $70 bag of pot. 2 blocks up from Haight the back seat guy put a chrome automatic pistol on us! They pushed us out on the sidewalk without our $70. :roll:

Pot was that expensive back then?

It was supposed to be 1 pound of Mexican, which was all that was being grown/smoked at that time. It was the early 70's before NorCal homegrown started ramping up.

6T5 square Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:06 am

aahhh the 70's! those were the days.

I once received 7 ounces of Hawaii's finest in a saltine cracker can, through the US mail.

Man I miss pot.

my59 Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 am

Aaahhh metal Saltine cans.... I miss them.

weisswurst Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 am

my59 wrote: Aaahhh metal Saltine cans.... I miss them.

hey! I got one of those on my desk!! :shock:

nsracing Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:06 pm

I have been lucky, have never been robbed or anything in my dealings w/ people.

I have been as far down as Fla, Ala, TN, KY, MO, and northeast, midwest -been treated good.

Just be mindful though that when the deal is too good to be true -IT IS!

Although there was once I went to pick up a machine I had already paid for online. And the fella insisted I meet him after hours when the shop was closed. I said....hmmmn...this could be trouble. Either I end up killing him or I end up in jail for receiving stolen property or I end up part of the robbery.

I made sure I had plenty of conversations through the company phone lines beforehand to establish my dealings. I went to the bathroom, put my hand print on the glass - in case I get killed. Did a press-check on the lowly companion Mr. SIG...and I went. :lol:

He got me loaded up, gave me my bill of lading, I secured the load and I was off.

I can only remember a couple of times when my sorround made me a bit nervous, but overall, my experiences w/ people have been good. I go out w/ the attitude that people are essentially good.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:03 pm

6T5 square wrote: aahhh the 70's! those were the days.

I once received 7 ounces of Hawaii's finest in a saltine cracker can, through the US mail.

Man I miss pot.

Google Denver 420 they will pick you up at the airport and put a joint in your hand that's better than anything you remember. Be sure and ask for the Girl Scout cookies. Also visit the medicine man. It's a friendly place.

Volks Wagen Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:44 pm

nsracing wrote: I go out w/ the attitude that people are essentially good.

I was that way once, but now I'm convinced most folks are fuckers, and I don't give any 'benefit of the doubt' anymore. I trust my instincts and screw diplomacy.

MacLeod Willy Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 pm

This poor guy was selling his truck on Kijiji. Two people showed and went for a road test with him and never came back. They killed him and burned his body.
The third person was a girlfriend followed them as an accomplice.

I wish I was in charge of the sentence :twisted:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05/15/tim_bosma_murder_five_unanswered_questions.html