TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Oil cooler
haz77 Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Can you buy new late model type3 oil coolers?

I rebuilding my engine & getting the feeling that its not advised to reuse the old ones, especially if you have had bearing break up or heavy wear etc.

the engine had no full flow / filter & the cam bearings had started to flake + others where very worn, found lots of gunk etc in the bottom of the case half's.

Ive look at a few suppliers but nothing listed & goggle draws a blank.

Bobnotch Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 am

haz77 wrote: Can you buy new late model type3 oil coolers?

I rebuilding my engine & getting the feeling that its not advised to reuse the old ones, especially if you have had bearing break up or heavy wear etc.

the engine had no full flow / filter & the cam bearings had started to flake + others where very worn, found lots of gunk etc in the bottom of the case half's.

Ive look at a few suppliers but nothing listed & goggle draws a blank.

Nobody sells them new. MOFOCO is one place that "reconditions" your old one, and sells reconditioned ones. I don't know what their process is though.

Your best bet would be to find a radiator shop, and have your old one cleaned out.

Another opition would be buying a new dog house oil cooler (t-1), and having a boss welded on for the oil pressure switch.

haz77 Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 am

So are you saying that the T1 coolers fit but you wont have a pressure sensor?

Im going to be running a oil pressure sender & gauge as well as full flow so could I not move the pressure sensor to tee off of the filter outlet line, which returns to the cooler anyway or does the sensor read cooler outlet pressure to warn of a burst cooler?

Erik G Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:12 am

you can find them NOS in the classifieds and on eBay sometimes

Bobnotch Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:29 am

haz77 wrote: So are you saying that the T1 coolers fit but you wont have a pressure sensor?

Yes, they're basically the same cooler minus the boss for the oil pressure switch. You could always drill and tap the case (like a t-1) if you really wanted to.

haz77 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Will have a scan of flea bay asap,

Dont really want to start drilling the case as im just about to put the thing back together.

I dont have or have access to a t1 so where is the sensor located and is this before or after the cooler?

When you say "basically the same" are they the same dimensions, port size & flow etc or would I need to alter things to fit one?

Erik G Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:20 pm

exactly the same except the hole for the sender

[email protected] Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I've got 100 or so in the warehouse

haz77 Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm

Roy you have a PM,

Just to continue this though, does the pressure sender pick up the cooler inlet or outlet pressure?

haz77 Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:31 pm

I was posting before from work so now after a quick check it looks like the sensor is directly above the inlet port which to me would mean it is hit & miss whether it would actually detect a blown cooler quick enough to save the engine, or indeed if you would notice dash light in time depending of course on where the cooler split or failed etc.

Of course it would detect oil supply pressure, although I don't quite understand how it is not active (light on) when the pressure relief valve is open at warm up? - Shown here from a very good post on oil flow http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=

So my question remains, would it not be effectively the same to fit the sensor before the oil cooler, which ironically is where the pressure sensor is actually shown on the diagram, and is located on beetles etc, I could use a dual pressure sendor & warning element fitted to the tapped galley plug like this;

Bobnotch Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:58 am

haz77 wrote: I was posting before from work so now after a quick check it looks like the sensor is directly above the inlet port which to me would mean it is hit & miss whether it would actually detect a blown cooler quick enough to save the engine, or indeed if you would notice dash light in time depending of course on where the cooler split or failed etc.

Of course it would detect oil supply pressure, although I don't quite understand how it is not active (light on) when the pressure relief valve is open at warm up? - Shown here from a very good post on oil flow http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...highlight=

So my question remains, would it not be effectively the same to fit the sensor before the oil cooler, which ironically is where the pressure sensor is actually shown on the diagram, and is located on beetles etc, I could use a dual pressure sendor & warning element fitted to the tapped galley plug like this;

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. But the bottom pic is what I was meaning for drilling and tapping for an oil pressure switch, and using the bug cooler (without the angled adapter).

If you're asking whether or not the switch would catch a blown cooler (or seals) , the answer is No (irregardless of the switch location).

haz77 Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Bobnotch wrote: I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here. But the bottom pic is what I was meaning for drilling and tapping for an oil pressure switch, and using the bug cooler (without the angled adapter).

If you're asking whether or not the switch would catch a blown cooler (or seals) , the answer is No (irregardless of the switch location).

Bingo, were on the same page :lol:

Originally you said to weld a boss onto the t1 dog house cooler, then until yesterday I had no idea where t1's sensors where so I didnt know where you meant to drill a new location, Ive allready tapped the oil galley for plugging so its actually all ready to go.

Just need to change my new pressure gauge sendor for one with alarm signal output for the dash light & pick up a new T1 cooler & im sorted, still waiting to hear from Roy about the details of his t3 coolers, cost & condition etc before I rush to the shops,,,

Many thanks for the help, we got there in the end!!