TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Impact Wrench recommendations Page: 1, 2  Next
pomfritz Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:17 pm

So I will soon be joining the ranks of a Vanagon owner and have been reading up on all the updates/repairs I'll get (need) to do. I'd like to get a cordless impact wrench to deal with 30 year old rusty nuts. Any recommendations? 3/8 or 1/2" drive? Can a 3/8 handle lug nuts okay? How much torque should I look for? Would rather not have to get two. Brushless seems to be the new thing and wouldn't care if it has it but they do tout that they have more power and that might be something important to have.

Rather not go the air tank route, not a lot of space to store it.

Really looking forward to getting the van, will share details later. Picking up 2/6.

Got me my Samba membership, thanks to Everett for creating this wonderful space! Amazing resource, found the van through the classifieds.

syncrodoka Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm

What are you trying to remove? Your torque needs will dictate what you want.
One size isn't enough to do everything on the van. 1/2" will deliver more power but they are larger so they are harder to fit in some spots.

IdahoDoug Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:41 pm

I have the Craftsman 200lb ft 19.2V Li Ion battery model. For battery life, it is literally incredible. For size and allowing access to thing you want to whip off in a hurry - also kudus.

But it seems a little weak. I'm going to be taking it back to Sears in the next few days. It would not take my Audi lug nuts off and lugnuts was the primary reason for this tool. I have 5 vehicles and two trailers and dealing with 150 lugnuts several times a year is nutty.

So, I'd be looking at 300 ft-lb models. Go big. The kind of tool that if a bolt is rusted solid, it will just shear it off if you want it to. Nothing is more frustrating than putting a snazzy new cordless impact wrench on a simple lugnut, then having to get up and walk back to the garage for a 4-way....

pomfritz Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Looking for something as one size for all as I can get know it won't be perfect for all. Lug nuts a big one and the more common sizes you would be able to reach with one of these. I'm thinking I would like a 3/8 and sure for something under 12mm it would be fine. But does it work for larger sizes and with an adapter?

kbeefy Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:55 pm

I had a dewaly 18v a few years ago singe I have alot of other dewalt stuff. I was really disapointed and sold it within a couple days.

I wound up going with a 1/2 Ingerson Rand, 19v lithium w/ a claimed 360 ft/pds or torque. Ingersol has been in the buisness of building some of the nicest impacts around for a long time, and it really shows. One of my favorite tools.

I still have to break some stuff loose by hand, but the van and car lugnuts are no problem. On my 1 ton diesel or anything else bigger I hit them all with a breaker first. The cordless might get them off alone, but it will be slow and noisey. No clue on the current selection, much stronger ones might be available now that arent any bigger. I had a pnuematic 1/2 IR that was about 650#, that thing was a beast.

I also have a Bosch 12 1/4 impact thats awesome for the small stuff. A real time saver.

Also, to get the muscle into tight spaces, I have an extension that adapts from 1/2 down to 3/8, and a set of flexible 3/8 impact sockets. It's an awesome combination that really expands the usefullness if an impact.

zeohsix Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 pm

I have a Milwaukee " Fuel " series 18VDC 1/2 impact, if you look on Ebay they can be found new for around $100 " bare bones " then search for a charger set up for around $50 more then batteries or get a drill motor with batteries charger. I have used Ryobi ( same as Craftsman ) Black&Decker, DeWalt and Makita. The Milwaukee is pretty much the best of the group ( I broke my Dewalt in under 2 months of service. ) The Milwaukee has adjustable torque is quite lightweight, powerful and compact. I was going to buy a 3/8ths impact but, I'm happy with my 1/2" with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter on it.

buildyourown Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I own a few and they are nice when needed. Crank pulley, rear wheel nut, etc.
However, I prefer to avoid them until you really need them. PB Blaster and the metered torque of a 6 pt socket and a long breaker will get most bolts loose. Impacts have the ability to do some serious damage. Removing broken studs sucks, especially since it sounds like you don't have a full shop (welder, torch, press, etc.)

I would hold off as they are expensive. If you get stuck, then spend the money.

Abscate Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 pm

I only use them to crack lug nuts for tire swaps. I re torque with a torque wrench. Never use them got disassembly...too much damage potential.

vwfreek61 Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:08 pm

I have a 1/2" drive 19.2V Harbor Freight special. 12 years and still going strong. The battery went bad, so I had to get that rebuilt.

Wildthings Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:13 pm

I agree with those that say that an impact isn't all that necessary. There just aren't that many fasteners that are big enough to require an impact that an impact can get to all that easily, and for the rear axle nuts a 1/2" impact will likely not get the job done.

pomfritz Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replies and wisdom of experience. I will hold off and see how my repairs go and if I run across something that looks to need it then I can reassess getting one. I plan on trying to do as many repairs as i can but we live in a condo so no driveway and the garage has a big ol beam running across to support the unit above the garage. Not sure how much I can lift it in the garage. I can park outside the garage for some repairs but got be done by the end of the day. Will be challenging but I'm up for it.

I recently did get some torque wrenches finally and will how those work for cracking some tough nuts.

Thanks!

ThankYouJerry Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:33 pm

I own Makita tools for building... However, for the Westy I chose Ryobi One 18v.

Reasons:

1. They offer a 1/2 impact wrench as well as a cordless high pressure air compressor that both operate off of the same 18v lion batteries. The air compressor is not only helpful with tires but also inflates my SUP board. Ryobi offers a huge line of cordless tools that work with this lineup/batteries. Maybe others would also be useful to you?

2. The 120v battery charger is very compact. They do offer a 12v charger, but I haven't found it necessary as the 18v batteries last a long time after they're fully charged.

3. The larger (optional) 18v Ryobi One batteries have a LED gauge built in. 8)

4. Affordable.

I only use the impact wrench for removing and starting lug nuts. Always finish with a torque wrench. Makes for quick work. Takes up very little space.

syncrodoka Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 pm

pomfritz wrote: I recently did get some torque wrenches finally and will how those work for cracking some tough nuts.

NOOO! torque wrenches are for tightening hardware not loosening them.

pomfritz Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 pm

syncrodoka wrote: pomfritz wrote: I recently did get some torque wrenches finally and will how those work for cracking some tough nuts.

NOOO! torque wrenches are for tightening hardware not loosening them.

Got it, I thought so too but read some other posts about using them for loosening also.

dobryan Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Get a couple size breaker bars to loosen tough bolts/nuts.

"A breaker bar is a long non-ratcheting bar that is used with socket wrench style sockets. Breaker bars are used to 'break loose' very tight fasteners because their additional length allows the same amount of force to generate significantly more torque than a standard length socket wrench."

joseph928 Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:27 pm

Dewalt 20 volt love mine, had it over a year now. Takes off wheels fast. 1/2" drive. :D

vw4life Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Kobalt 20v from lowes. 2 batteries
With a super long shelf life, 350ft/lbs

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-20-Volt-12-in-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench/4759776

Terry Kay Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Electric impact tools don't hold a candle to pneumatic.
Longer Life expectancy, heavier hitting, does the work of 4 electric tools in a heatbeat.

CP or IR would be my impacts of choice.
A 3/8's air rachet is the ultimate time saver--

IdahoDoug Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Holy Crap that Kobalt is expensive!

ThankYouJerry Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 am

Terry Kay wrote: Electric impact tools don't hold a candle to pneumatic.
Longer Life expectancy, heavier hitting, does the work of 4 electric tools in a heatbeat.

CP or IR would be my impacts of choice.
A 3/8's air rachet is the ultimate time saver--

True. But... the average Vanagon owner is carrying one out of convenience and mainly for quick tire changes, not to use making a living. Electric 1/2" impact wrenches handle lug nuts with no problem.