TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seized Bearing - Front Driver Side - Spindle Replace?
Split 66' Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:20 pm

Driving home two weeks ago, I heard a strange noise - like a bang - followed by a tinkling of small parts falling out. I had no tools on me and was 30 miles from home.

I kept driving, real slow and I made it home.

Today, I got out there and pulled the driver front wheel, to see what happened, I found this:

Lock washer tab has skipped the spindle channel

Outer bearing shredded, race seized on spindle

Dremel cuts to get race off

Spindle condition

The channel on the spindle, where the lock washer tab goes, cut a pretty good gash in the threads. The location on the spindle for the outer wheel bearing race looks pretty ugly too.

Am I SOL? Do I have to replace this spindle, or can this be repaired?

EDIT: My main question is, once the lock washer has torn through the spindle channel, will that just continue to happen even if I replace the washer and die cut the threads again?

ZENVWDRIVER Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

I think most will not want to touch this one...

Years ago, something similar happened to me and I, like you had to cut the race off...just what I did and not telling you how to proceed...reinstalled new bearings and associated parts and forced a new nut on...never had another problem.

I do have my critics...couldn't care less.

Brian Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 pm

it might happen again if you slap another one on there. But it probably happened because the nut got loose and the washer wiggled.

cru62 Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:02 pm

I used to have to do all kinds of crazy stuff to get my DC rolling because It was my DD/work truck. I agree w/ ZENVWDRIVER and would see if I could reuse the original spindle. Check the fit of new bearings and if there is any doubt, do not use the spindle. Get a new washer and use these spindle nuts-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1535567
(You don't, obviously, need the hub, just the spindle nut)

They come on Bay Window BJ spindles and work very well on late split spindles.

You will probably want to start looking for a replacement spindle. Singles are usually a bit easier to find than a pair because everyone wants pairs for drop spindles. A WTD ad will serve you well.

campingbox Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Probably best to find a better spindle if you can. That damage is pretty common though.

This may be a bad idea and you'll have to decide if it's safe for your application, but maybe you can weld two or three of those lock washers together to keep them from spinning around again. If it's just worn in that one spot I mean, a thicker washer would likely help.

I disagree with the above post about finding single spindles, unless you are looking for a passenger side.

cru62 Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Both times I needed a DS late spindle I posted a WTD ad and had them with in a week. But that was a few years ago and maybe the supply is drying up?

Split 66' Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:15 am

ZENVWDRIVER wrote: I think most will not want to touch this one...

Years ago, something similar happened to me and I, like you had to cut the race off...just what I did and not telling you how to proceed...reinstalled new bearings and associated parts and forced a new nut on...never had another problem.

I do have my critics...couldn't care less.

I like your style, I think I will see what can be done tomorrow. I pulled it all apart and was devastated by the destruction; I just took the pics and walked away. Maybe tomorrow will bring a better perspective on all this. Thanks for the reply ZVWD.

Brian wrote: it might happen again if you slap another one on there. But it probably happened because the nut got loose and the washer wiggled.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the old spindle, Brian. I'm hoping it's salvageable. It was rebuilt about a year ago, it was like brand new.

cru62 wrote: I used to have to do all kinds of crazy stuff to get my DC rolling because It was my DD/work truck. I agree w/ ZENVWDRIVER and would see if I could reuse the original spindle. Check the fit of new bearings and if there is any doubt, do not use the spindle. Get a new washer and use these spindle nuts-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1535567
(You don't, obviously, need the hub, just the spindle nut)

They come on Bay Window BJ spindles and work very well on late split spindles.

You will probably want to start looking for a replacement spindle. Singles are usually a bit easier to find than a pair because everyone wants pairs for drop spindles. A WTD ad will serve you well.

That makes three votes of confidence, I'm getting excited over here! Even if I go out there tomorrow and the spindle is wrecked, I'm still going to sleep better tonight knowing there is a chance, thanks cru62.

Also stoked to hear you mention the Bay spindle clamp-nuts as being helpful in this situation. I just got two OG ones in the mail today.

campingbox wrote: Probably best to find a better spindle if you can. That damage is pretty common though.

This may be a bad idea and you'll have to decide if it's safe for your application, but maybe you can weld two or three of those lock washers together to keep them from spinning around again. If it's just worn in that one spot I mean, a thicker washer would likely help.

I disagree with the above post about finding single spindles, unless you are looking for a passenger side.

Thanks for the lock washer tip campingbox, I may have to get creative on this one. I also may have given up too early tonight, I'll reassess the damage tomorrow and hope for the best tonight.

Thanks again guys.

PEPPE Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

check also drum diameter, the adjusters are very far out.

too much heat in the smaller part of the spindle could have cause also a damage to the metal and risk of cracks or softening of it i've seen similar ones broken in half. often similar damages wear out to the diameter and the new bearing will be impossible to adjust well, and also gave problems for brake adjusting.

Abscate Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Reuse the spindle.

New bearing, lots of grease, adjust carefully, and watch it like a hawk. If it doesn't fail early, you will be fine.

You have a 87.14 percent chance of success.

cru62 Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Abscate wrote: You have a 87.14 percent chance of success.

78% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :wink:

Split 66' Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Well guys, bad news. The portion of the spindle where the smaller outer bearing rides, is chewed up pretty bad. I can't even get the new bearing 1/4 of the way on. I filed and sanded the spindle but no luck.

I think it's time get a new one :x .

Anyone out there know where I can get a really nice driver side 64-67 spindle? My king/link pins are like brand new still.

Split 66' Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:20 pm

Just a quick follow-up, I kept after the spindle with 180 grit emery cloth and was able to get it smoothed out and the bearing on without a problem.

The bay spindle clamps also worked out really well.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it kept up my hopes and in the end made the difference.

earlywesty Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Looks like you solved the problem with new disc brakes :wink: . What kind are they?

Split 66' Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:11 pm

buseric wrote: Looks like you solved the problem with new disc brakes :wink: . What kind are they?

These are the Babystang's from WagensWest.

Fredrok Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Split 66' wrote: buseric wrote: Looks like you solved the problem with new disc brakes :wink: . What kind are they?

These are the Babystang's from WagensWest.

Man, wish my spindle would get boogered up. :D