TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door hinges - screws out but can't separate from body
norenmd1 Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I know the topic of the door hinge screws has been covered many times. I have a different question that I wasn't able to find an answer for. The door hinge screws are out on my '73 Vert, but the hinges will not separate from the body. I've tried to "persuade" them with a rubber mallet. They won't budge. The car was repainted horribly by the PO. Guessing maybe the additional layers of paint are making everything stick? Are there any hidden screws I'm missing? Any tips to get these hinges away from the body?

Thanks for the help.

RLFD213 Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:37 pm

How many screws came out. I can't remember if each door had 3 or 4 screws per hinge. Also is there a possibility maybe the door is welded to the body.

norenmd1 Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:05 pm

I feel like a dope. Been messing with this all weekend in between pulling the motor and your question made me think. I only unscrewed two screws per hinge. I just went back to the garage and felt around the door jam. I found the two plastic caps painted over. Popped them off and there were the hidden third screws for each hinge. Doors off and Bug Stuff braces in place. Getting ready to pull the body soon to dig into the body work. Thanks!!

RLFD213 Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Don't feel bad, that's what this site is for so we can all help each other out.