TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best way to restore side and roof glass on a 21-window?
mraible Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:12 am

Hello all,

I'm restoring a '66 21-window and the shop that's working on it has recently installed front and rear safari windows. These are brand new, so naturally the glass looks great. Now they're moving onto the side and top glass.

The owner sent me the following message this morning:

"Mel just showed me the roof glass and the side windows and they're all pretty rough, especially compared to the brand new front and rear glass we've already installed."

I imagine it's pretty hard to find replacement glass, which seems like the ideal solution. What do y'all recommend for making this old glass look like new?

Thanks,

Matt

G-wood Todd Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:03 pm

I have heard of people buffing original glass. I've never done it so maybe someone else can chime in.

You can also buy new roof glass at vwsunroofs.com. i dont know if it matters to you, but I don't think it has logos etched in like originals.

G-wood Todd Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:04 pm

And let's see some pics of your bus.

mraible Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:15 pm

In addition to cleaning up the glass, the shop suggested we buy new door handles and other trim items.

I sent the following email to BusDepot.com and WolfsburgWest.com to see if they have these parts.

——
Hello,

I'm in the process of restoring a '66 21-window bus. The shop that's working on it sent me a picture this morning of a number of replacement parts they need. It looks like mostly door latches, a review mirror, an antenna and other items. Below is the picture of the parts we'd like to buy new.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116232640686416221957...7704923042

Do you happen to have a kit that includes all these parts?
——

Here's a link to the latest project pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116232640686416221957...feat=email

EDragnDean Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Bus is at KCW right? Imagine they know what parts you would need. Or the WW west home page is good as far as seeing the various parts.

You can order all new glass, but original is better and more correct, light imperfections will buff out, but major scratches/cracks will not.

The picture shows lots of new parts and some old. Looks like door handles/latches all the way around, door strikers, door handle rubber, clock, and rear view mirror.

Keep all the original parts in a box if nothing else, you will want them later.

GTV Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:05 pm

This is not the KCW bus...

As far as glass goes, get new stuff and sell the originals to guys on here with original busses. I agree yours would look best with clean new glass.
I would get the original handles etc re chromed. Reproduction parts like these are cheap junk and/or usually fail.