TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW truck value
OldCarRefurbisher Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

I have a 1964 VW single cab truck that I have been looking to sell. I have redone the interior and fixed it up to be a good daily driver. i have tried to do some research on how much these trucks are worth, but can't really find any that are comparable to mine. I am wondering if anyone would give me a few pointers on how much it might be worth. Here is a list of everything I've done to it:
new front suspension, safari windows, new interior, new brakes and cylinders, retuned engine that runs good, new gas tank.
bad:
rusting under the truck and in storage compartment, with a few holes in the bed

Thanks for any feedback you an give me!

Culito Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:03 pm

$100 - $20,000

(ballpark)

You'll need to post some pics.

mpribanic Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:01 am

Pics or it didn't happen yo!

EDragnDean Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:41 am

Rust can be significant. Best bet is cruise thesamba classifieds and look for what similar trucks are listed for. Also active group in Texas dlkweb.org who may be willing to look in person. If your trying to sell, post it as best offer in the classifieds.

OldCarRefurbisher Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:05 am

Here are the pictures of the truck

EDragnDean Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 am

Other rust? Dog legs, lower nose, fender wells, etc? Dual treasure doors is a plus, wrong rims, multiple paint colors, wrong motor, exhaust, so assuming not OG paint. A get in and drive single, 10-12 ballpark.

pyrOman Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:18 am

Phatchick front emblem = - $1000. :-s

EDragnDean Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:20 am

pyrOman wrote: Phatchick front emblem = - $1000. :-s

Missed that. History on the nose?

velvetgreen Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:40 am

King Tut's old ride??

kenshapiro2002 Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 am

$9,743.26

Schwing Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 am

kenshapiro2002 wrote: $9,743.26

I am right around here too, though I wouldn't list it for that low. Its kind of like selling a home, if you know there are issues do your best to eliminate them otherwise you are giving the buyer points to negotiate for a lower price. That rust really isn't bad, I feel like it could be fixed professionally for an amount that would be lower than a buyer would negotiate, say maybe $1k of metal work in labor. I don't know, I have never hired a pro for that stuff.

List it for 12 and plan on coming down on your price, or get lucky with the timing.

hazetguy Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:01 am

the lock plates on the front axle are installed incorrectly.

Bret2094 Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:15 am

did I just see two fuel filters in the engine compartment? :shock: ..... [-X

Bret

hitest Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Bret2094 wrote: did I just see two fuel filters in the engine compartment? :shock: ..... [-X

Bret

Indeed, undo that tank-rust-removal technique; pull off those ghastly door panels and replace the nose emblem: $10,243.68.

Z Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Replacing those taped together air hoses is a cheap improvement, too.

BulliBill Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:56 pm

I'm suspicious of what is really under that tar-looking goo on the floor under that floor mat. In general, from your photos, we've seen much worse, but either fix the bad to get a higher price or be willing to accept a lower price so that someone else can afford to buy and repair everything.

Bill

WideFive Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Bump stops are on upside down. Maybe that's how they lowered it? Somewhat easy fix, but got to ride like absolute shit with the suspension compressed so far.

velvetgreen Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:00 pm

while we are chiming in - i like to see an original stock oil bath air cleaner as opposed to one of those EMPI chrome jobbers-

something like this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1730117

Old Paint Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 pm

I think your chops are being busted a bit.

I can't tell the quality of the paint in the garage. Roll it outside. If its OG (original German) its a plus. Rust is a definite negative and seeing it in the bed and treasure chest or underneath is what most everybody will care most about. Most people buying a Vintage VW for several thousand dollars will only care about the body. 80-90% of the value is in the body paint and its condition.

1) Don't call it a Truck, its a Single Cab. Its almost as bad as calling a Bus a Van, or calling the engine a motor 2) Get rid of that incorrect emblem. Not having one is better than the wrong one. Better yet a bent rusted CORRECT OG one for $100 is even better 3) Get rid of that incorrect American Fuel line and those two fuel filters. Get the correct German stuff and put the filter underneath near the gas tank. Or you might be asking what this burned out Single Cab is worth.

All in all $8k-$12k but I'm cheap, start at $14k

cat1pro Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:38 am

Depends on how fast you would like to sell it. I have seen several vehicles go pending in less than two hours when they are priced to move. At 10k you will probably get emails. At 7000 you will get cash!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: