TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stinger on or off?
Bloku Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello peeps. About half a year ago I got some 4 to 1 headers with a stinger. I decided to leave the stinger just to see how it sounded. It souned really good the more I drove it until I am not sure I can take it off and put a quite pack on :? . What would you guys say? I need a tie breaker. It annoys some people and it makes some other people smile. Also, It does not stick out much (4 inches). Should I take it off or leave it on?

enjoyther1de Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:02 pm

That's the beautiful thing, you can swap them out when you feel the need!

Brian Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

stingers are for drag strip cars and kids who are trying too hard.

Glenn Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 am

Brian wrote: kids who are trying too hard.
I rather be fast, than sound fast.

drscope Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 am

Get rid of the stinger and replace it with a glass pack. You still get a nice sound but it's not nearly as annoying.

In the road racing world and many circle tracks, there are now noise restrictions requiring mufflers.

It has been common place in SCCA for many years to have a microphone alongside the track recording decibel levels as the cars pass. Do so many laps over the sound limit and you get black flagged and have to come in.

You may think it sounds cool, but for everyone around you it's really annoying.

KTPhil Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:43 am

Annoying and also many of them are aimed upwards, at about face level for some kid passing by who gets his face blown off.

Fish Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:42 pm

Isn't there an age limit for stingers in Oklahoma? but seriously on a Ghia, wait until someone trips over it and then see what happens to it.

Bloku Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Fish wrote: Isn't there an age limit for stingers in Oklahoma? but seriously on a Ghia, wait until someone trips over it and then see what happens to it.

people keep saying that about tripping and it point up and stuff. My stinger sticks out about 5'' beyond my bumper and it does not point up, it goes straight out. (6'' above the ground).

Glenn Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm

Bloku wrote: Fish wrote: Isn't there an age limit for stingers in Oklahoma? but seriously on a Ghia, wait until someone trips over it and then see what happens to it.

people keep saying that about tripping and it point up and stuff. My stinger sticks out about 5'' beyond my bumper and it does not point up, it goes straight out. (6'' above the ground).
Sounds like you're trying to justify keeping it.

If you like it, then keep it. I don't care as long as you don't live on my block. But it will hurt performance and low end torque.

Mike Fisher Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 pm

If you want loud at least used HD muffler or mufflers don't stick out.

HD mufflers on an EMPI header.

The same HD mufflers on a stock exhaust, so they are higher & quieter!

hitest Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Keep the wretched thing. Girlfriends usually rotate stock faster with the occasional shin-burn. Nothing like a stinger tat on a smooth, nubile gam.
Yessir, pleasin's the reason. Be sure to scrape off the seared chick flesh frequently.

Brian Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:37 pm

^ girls don't like loud cars.

wythac Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 pm

Ditch it, but hang on to it for when you want to let your obnoxious drunk flag fly. What's it take, maybe 10 mins to swap out with a real muffler?

They will trip people, burn people (at VW cars shows in particular, you'd think we'd learn), and damage your head studs and heater boxes if you are careless and run into too many curbs and other obstacles. Throw it back on for track day, replace it with a more conventional 3 bolt device when you are rolling in town or at car shows.

I ran one on a bug in 1980 or so, and even then I was not so deaf, dumb and blind that I couldn't see that stinger was a noisy liability and negative attention generator. After a few weeks and a few exhaust repairs, I threw it in my box o parts thinking I might use it again, and never did.

andk5591 Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 am

The stinger making them smile or laugh? Personally I can't stand them and feel that anyone with one is totally inconsiderate of others. And I feel the same about Harleys with straight pipes. I dont know how you can enjoy driving or riding any distance with it pounding on your ears. Obviously at the track is a different matter.

pyrOman Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 am

I'va had one for over 20 years and STILL use all the time...

... as a flange template to make my own gaskets! :P

Ian M Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:13 am

Stingers were cool..back in 1990. IMO,they don't look good on anything other than an all out dragcar,and don't sound fast (or good) unless they are on a healthy 180+ HP engine.

67jason Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 am

stingers on stockish street cars are for the wanna-be rice boy crowd. do yourself, your engine and your neighbors a favor and run a real muffler. save the pipes for the track!