TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Klassic Fab A pillar replacement/ lower 6 inch R&R metal
thekera Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:10 am

So, I'm working on my 62 euro rag. Specifically the heater channels at this point. All of the metal that the heat channel attaches to on the body needs to be replaced first though before I can proceed to welding in the channel.

Where is the best place to start? A pillar, B pillar, firewall sections?

I have been trying to only source the best replacement panels. Klassic fab and Restoration panels. I was thinking to start first at the A pillar. The KF A pillar I got has the inner structure welded to the outer portion, do I seperate these to pieces? I guess if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. Or if you anyone knows a good resource for this area I'm working?
Thanks

thekera Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:23 am

Also I welded a pretty cool jig together before I removed the driver side heater channel. Basically the jig has pan to channel bolt locations. To help with locating the new heat channel.

Jerry Hundley Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:37 am

start with the channel first.

thekera Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 am

Sorry, the pictures are not more close up, but what do I weld the channel too? Every area that welds to the channel is paper thin brittle rust. That front wheel well photo makes it look ok but as soon as I wire wheeled from the inside, holes started to appear.

I guess where should I start first to replace to give myself something to weld the channel to?

I tried looking for a forum with klassic fab A pillars but can't find anything? Anyone know of a good thread that is similar in repairs?

beetlenut Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:54 am

thekera wrote: Sorry, the pictures are not more close up, but what do I weld the channel too? Every area that welds to the channel is paper thin brittle rust. That front wheel well photo makes it look ok but as soon as I wire wheeled from the inside, holes started to appear.

I guess where should I start first to replace to give myself something to weld the channel to?

I tried looking for a forum with klassic fab A pillars but can't find anything? Anyone know of a good thread that is similar in repairs?

Well then, that's where to start! Make templates of the areas that weld to the channels, and go as far up as you need to to get into solid steel. Cut out all that paper thin brittle rust, and weld in the new metal made from those templates, then weld your channels to that. You wouldn't be the first one to have to do that!

Two steps backward, one step forward...

thekera Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:01 pm

Yea, i guess I should just jump in. Maybe I'm thinking to much and getting overwhelmed. Just need to think one area at a time.

56reddy Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Start at the A-post and use the old heater channel to locate it. You will need to cut a large window in the inner fender well to weld the inner structure of the A-post.

thekera Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:21 am

Thank you, your thread is what Im look for. I ended up very carefully removing the inner structure from the outer. Im not sure why they attach the inner to the outer. Seems to me it would be better to leave them seperate, that way you can weld the inner then the outer.

I noticed you also replaced your firewall sections. I bought the KF inner and outer firewall sections. Did you have to trim the inner panel where it meets the heater channel on the bottom at a angle?

Also are those KF inner front fender well sections? Ive never seen those?