TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gas attendant and gas leak Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:07 pm

What would a gas attendant have had to do wrong that would result in gas leaking beneath the 1970 bus (wasn't discovered till I got home, about 5 minutes later)? Is there anything tricky about the filler neck where it meets the gas cap, in these old buses? I'm not with the bus now and have never looked inside there yet due to bus being new at running (it sat for 21 years) and also Oregon has gas attendants so I rarely pump my own gas regardless. I'd go look if the bus were with me. I'm just curious and a bit concerned and my friend who would know - was with me at the time - is busy at the moment. Feeling impatiently curious and hoping someone here might have a guess. Thanks!

jakokombi Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 pm

First time it's been filled up to the top and discovered a rotted flex hose?
Over filled and the splash is running out the overflow in the fuel door area?
Miss theadded the cap and it's splashing out? (See previous).

The first one would keep leaking untill the level came down. The other two would stop in a few minutes.

ROCKOROD71 Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:29 pm

If they did that thing where they stick the nozzle in, lock it and walk away, then you probably paid for at least half a gallon that ended up on the ground. If the nozzle isn't in there just right gas will splash back out of the inlet andrun down the side of the van, at least in my experience. I have a late bay with the locked cap so I have to get out and unlock it for an attenddant anyway, and I usually am able to convince them to let me pump the gas instead. One of the first times I had someone else pumping gas for me I stood there and watched as gas poured down the side of the van. Didn't yell but was like "Hey watch it there!" and the guy was like, "oh it's fine, don't worry..."
I said, "Are you gonna pay me for that gas on the ground, then?" He let me pump it after that.

Hope your problem is this simple.

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:39 pm

jakokombi wrote: First time it's been filled up to the top and discovered a rotted flex hose?
Over filled and the splash is running out the overflow in the fuel door area?
Miss theadded the cap and it's splashing out? (See previous).

The first one would keep leaking untill the level came down. The other two would stop in a few minutes.

I had close to empty in there - maybe a gallon, and I only added 6 gallons. Thank you for trying to help!

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:41 pm

ROCKOROD71 wrote: If they did that thing where they stick the nozzle in, lock it and walk away, then you probably paid for at least half a gallon that ended up on the ground. If the nozzle isn't in there just right gas will splash back out of the inlet andrun down the side of the van, at least in my experience. I have a late bay with the locked cap so I have to get out and unlock it for an attenddant anyway, and I usually am able to convince them to let me pump the gas instead. One of the first times I had someone else pumping gas for me I stood there and watched as gas poured down the side of the van. Didn't yell but was like "Hey watch it there!" and the guy was like, "oh it's fine, don't worry..."
I said, "Are you gonna pay me for that gas on the ground, then?" He let me pump it after that.

Hope your problem is this simple.

Do you mean running down the outside of the bus? Cause not only did I not notice it running outside of the bus while we were there (though I admit I wasn't deliberately looking) but when we got home it was causing a puddle on the ground under the bus, about a mile from the gas station. Thank you!

wcfvw69 Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:43 pm

If you haven't removed your fuel tank or replaced the fill hoses and vent hoses inside the fuel tank area, you need to put it on the list. My 1970 was running the original hoses. It stunk of fuel inside the bus if I filled it more than 1/2 a tank.

After replacing the fill hoses from the filler neck to tank and the vent hose pieces, no more fuel smells. :)

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:43 pm

Is there another hole in there the gas might have gone down and taken its time going down, only to dump on the ground?

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:45 pm

wcfvw69 wrote: If you haven't removed your fuel tank or replaced the fill hoses and vent hoses inside the fuel tank area, you need to put it on the list. My 1970 was running the original hoses. It stunk of fuel inside the bus if I filled it more than 1/2 a tank.

After replacing the fill hoses from the filler neck to tank and the vent hose pieces, no more fuel smells. :)

Hmmm... sounds dangerous. I know he replaced the fuel lines but that's different from the hoses you're talking about isn't it?

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 pm

I see the diagram here if you scroll down shows the various hoses...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400819&view=next

I'm really paranoid about a fire. I mean REALLY paranoid, hahaha. Bought a nice fat extinguisher and everything. A bit too fat to go in that tiny spot behind the driver's seat in fact, which is kind of a bummer... but then I can't seem to slide the old seat at all so maybe once I get that moving I can squeeze the 4-lb. extinguisher in there. ;)

jakokombi Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Marya wrote: Is there another hole in there the gas might have gone down and taken its time going down, only to dump on the ground?

Sorry, no.
Sounds like the connector hose to the tank is bad as said above. You just filled it up to that spot.

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:51 pm

jakokombi wrote: Marya wrote: Is there another hole in there the gas might have gone down and taken its time going down, only to dump on the ground?

Sorry, no.
Sounds like the connector hose to the tank is bad as said above. You just filled it up to that spot.

I'm sorry to be dumb but can you clarify please, considering I only put 6 gallons in? (sorry!)

kevin77westy Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:53 pm

Doesn't sound like it could have been overfilled so you likely have a cracked hose at the tank inlet (#6 below) or a small hole in the tank. Its common for old crusty tanks to leak along the seam too.. If gas gets into the tank compartment in front of the firewall it could keep dripping out for some time. Might be time to pull the engine and then firewall for a looksee. At least its easy on the early bays if that's any comfort to you. Don't forget the screws under the bus holding the firewall in place. Have fun!

jakokombi Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:00 pm

kevin77westy wrote: Doesn't sound like it could have been overfilled so you likely have a cracked hose at the tank inlet or a small hole in the tank. Its common for old crusty ones to leak along the seam too.. If gas gets into the tank compartment in front of the firewall it could keep dripping out for some time. Might be time to pull the engine and then firewall for a looksee. At least its easy on the early bays if that's any comfort to you. Don't forget the screws under the bus holding the firewall in place. Have fun!

True, and you would need at least 10 gallons (I think) to get the level up to the hose.
How old are your fuel lines?

jakokombi Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Kevin, I've seen that drawing before but my 70' doesn't have half that stuff. In fact it's just like my 69'. Late 70' drawing? 71'?

Yarkle Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:12 pm

Once boys bus is on the road, he'll be in a similar situation if we dont fix this!

Ive been looking for a replacement filler neck for a 69, but i havent had much luck..the parts fiche says its 211205125, but ive only found the 211205125D (late bay)..longer and with a bend

has anyone found a source for these, or just a "close enough" hose from NAPA?

same with the vent line?

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:16 pm

kevin77westy wrote: Doesn't sound like it could have been overfilled so you likely have a cracked hose at the tank inlet (#6 below) or a small hole in the tank. Its common for old crusty tanks to leak along the seam too.. If gas gets into the tank compartment in front of the firewall it could keep dripping out for some time. Might be time to pull the engine and then firewall for a looksee. At least its easy on the early bays if that's any comfort to you. Don't forget the screws under the bus holding the firewall in place. Have fun!

Thanks Kevin!

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:17 pm

jakokombi wrote: kevin77westy wrote: Doesn't sound like it could have been overfilled so you likely have a cracked hose at the tank inlet or a small hole in the tank. Its common for old crusty ones to leak along the seam too.. If gas gets into the tank compartment in front of the firewall it could keep dripping out for some time. Might be time to pull the engine and then firewall for a looksee. At least its easy on the early bays if that's any comfort to you. Don't forget the screws under the bus holding the firewall in place. Have fun!

True, and you would need at least 10 gallons (I think) to get the level up to the hose.
How old are your fuel lines?

They just got changed the other day but I didn't do it - is there a difference between "fuel lines" and the hoses e.g. in the diagram?

kevin77westy Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:18 pm

jakokombi wrote: Kevin, I've seen that drawing before but my 70' doesn't have half that stuff. In fact it's just like my 69'. Late 70' drawing? 71'?
Bentley says evap emissions stuff started in 1970. Lots of later ones have been removed by POs that knew better than those crazy german engineers :? .

Marya Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:25 pm

kevin77westy wrote: jakokombi wrote: Kevin, I've seen that drawing before but my 70' doesn't have half that stuff. In fact it's just like my 69'. Late 70' drawing? 71'?
Bentley says evap emissions stuff started in 1970. Lots of later ones have been removed by POs that knew better than those crazy german engineers :? .

Again, probably another stupid question, but by evap emissions do you mean that starting in 1970 they installed something that acts as a second hole? I saw something like that - or what appeared to be something like a second hole - when googling images. Wish I had my Bentley book on me but that too is with the bus across town.

But even if the answer is yes, I don't really understand why gas would leak down it and dump it on the ground and still leaking a mile away. :?

jakokombi Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Yarkle wrote: Once boys bus is on the road, he'll be in a similar situation if we dont fix this!

Ive been looking for a replacement filler neck for a 69, but i havent had much luck..the parts fiche says its 211205125, but ive only found the 211205125D (late bay)..longer and with a bend

has anyone found a source for these, or just a "close enough" hose from NAPA?

same with the vent line?

NAPA # 1055