TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hello new to the forum
Bocho13 Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Hello all so I just got me a 1958 bettle decent interior needs some body work really like my uncut dash . Any way I have a small gas leak it's coming from the bottom of the gas tank don't know if it's from a fitting or the hoses what should I try. First help please I will post pics thanks

[email protected] Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Most of us replace the old rubber hose first thing after getting a bug. Unless you know they are less than like 5 years assume they aren't and replace them. As long as you are replacing those rubber hoses clamp off the hose lift the tank and get a good chance to see what's up. And order new hose.

The original hose does not play well with ethanol so the hoses don't last.

Oh, welcome aboard.

grandpa pete Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:25 pm

Take the tank out and see what is going on...
primary suspect is hose that wasn't made to hold up to ethanol chemicals

fla2smoker Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Welcome to TheSamba!
Without knowing the history of the fuel lines. Always replace them first. All of the rubber hoses for fuel and brakes should be checked and replaced for safety. They may look ok on the outside but cracked and swollen on the inside.

Bocho13 Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks guys ok so I will change the hoses

vwnut1 Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Welcome to TheSamba and the world of vintage VW's. Please post some pics of your '58 when you get a chance.

rockerarm Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Beautiful morning here in SoCal. Welcome to the gang here. I viewed your two pics on your gallery and it appears to be the fuel tap under the gas tank. The part number is 111-209-021E and is available from Shawn at www.vintagepartsinc.com over here in Valencia, Calif. 661-295-3927. Wolfsburg West also has them in Corona. If the cost hurts you, then you can install the later version and get you back on the road. The WW pic shows all the small parts associated with this small job. Your pic also shows the use of a SAE sized gas hose with no hose clamps. You will find different arguments on the use of the proper sized metric hose that may not last very long because of the additives within our available gasoline. But whatever you choose, and I have used both types, please use hose clamps and do not be tempted to install a gas filter in the engine compartment.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Bocho13 Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:18 pm

Why not a gas filter in engine ?

Bocho13 Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:20 pm

A store I went to in sanbernardino told me to add a gas filter in the engine and that clamps aren't necessary ?

EVfun Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:46 pm

If you are running the stock carb then it is a bad idea to put a filter between the pump and the carb because the fitting on the car is only pressed into place -- some 50 years ago. The weight of the filter full of fuel bouncing around as you drive can work that brass tube out of the carb and then the pump will spray gas around, often causing an engine fire. To many Bugs have been lost this way.

Bocho13 Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Ok ok thanks good to know these things awesome forum =) what about putting a fuel filter under the gas tank past the fuel tap were the hoses are rubber?