TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Weber Jet Doctor Page: 1, 2  Next
croSSeduP Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:30 pm

So, I've been having trouble with my street car plugging idle jets every other time I drive it, or so it seems. The fuel is hospital sterile; there is NO WAY dirt from the fuel system is clogging things because it is utterly clean. Today I am installing these jet doctor things in my dual 44's, and I gotta say... From a shade tree engineer viewpoint it totally escapes me how these can stop the idle air from getting plugged. It's so goofy looking. Time will tell, I guess.

Bajaman65 Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:45 pm

If you look at how the air gets to the idle jet, it's right on top of the carburetor usually under the air filter housing. Any little chunk of dirt or crud that may get past you filter can easily go down that hole and plug your jet. It is a lot less likely for the crud to go to the top of the Jet Doctor snorkel that sticks up about an inch. I have used them on off-road cars for many years where even with the best filters some crap gets on the top of the carburetor and finds its way into that little hole, not with the snorkel Jet Doctor. I have not had a 'dirt or crud' plugged idle jet in many years. Here are the ones that I make for myself.

Dale M. Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Bajaman65 wrote: If you look at how the air gets to the idle jet, it's right on top of the carburetor usually under the air filter housing. Any little chunk of dirt or crud that may get past you filter can easily go down that hole and plug your jet. It is a lot less likely for the crud to go to the top of the Jet Doctor snorkel that sticks up about an inch. I have used them on off-road cars for many years where even with the best filters some crap gets on the top of the carburetor and finds its way into that little hole, not with the snorkel Jet Doctor. I have not had a 'dirt or crud' plugged idle jet in many years. Here are the ones that I make for myself.

Like "Bajaman65" says....

Dale

deho Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:40 pm

I had the same problem with the idle jets then I used the jet doctor and never clog an idle jet again . They work!

Multi69s Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:05 pm

X2 :D

croSSeduP Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Alrighty then! I'll trust them to work.
8)

MURZI Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:20 am

Easy mod with brake line. 5 minutes a carb.....

modok Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm

britegreenVWSB wrote: From a shade tree engineer viewpoint it totally escapes me how these can stop the idle air from getting plugged.

Yep. A lot of effort for almost nothing. Extending the whole carb vent UP like normal does a lot more. we should call that the carb doctor :D

scotth17 Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 pm

For the cheapest of cheap VW bastards out there, you can cut a strip of pantyhose material and stretch it across the vent before installing the air cleaner base and it will keep the big chunks out....

croSSeduP Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm

scotth17 wrote: For the cheapest of cheap VW bastards out there, you can cut a strip of pantyhose material and stretch it across the vent before installing the air cleaner base and it will keep the big chunks out....

Man. That IS cheap. How do you know the pantyhose won't cause an air restriction in the idle air circuit and it not meter properly because there isn't enough air?

mark tucker Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:06 pm

in 12 years of idf style crabs I have had 2 cloged idle jets. you might want to find the place crap is getten in. under the airfilters?under the filter bases, through the filter,etc.Ive always run the outer wears over my filters.my car is a baja style in the rear with everything hanging out there in the breezzee. Ive seen many k&n filters turned to junk by the owners/mechanic and the velostity stacks.I reform my stacks so they do not come into contact with the filters.I also have gaskets under the stacks so i can sync them better.

Bajaman65 Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:39 pm

This is a very common problem and an easy fix, use the Jet Doctors - or listen to the none believers and sputter down the road, it's just cheap insurance but some people have to argue every post :?

old DKP driver Fri May 29, 2015 1:38 pm

Question on re-tuning after installing the CB Performance jet doctors
on weber 40 idf's.

Since now the idle circuit has longer vent tubes is it now in need of larger idle jets?

My problem: when first starting my bus now is hard starting that I never had
before installing these

Thanks' in advance :wink:

earthquake Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 pm

britegreenVWSB wrote: scotth17 wrote: For the cheapest of cheap VW bastards out there, you can cut a strip of pantyhose material and stretch it across the vent before installing the air cleaner base and it will keep the big chunks out....

Man. That IS cheap. How do you know the pantyhose won't cause an air restriction in the idle air circuit and it not meter properly because there isn't enough air?

It depends on where you get the pantyhose, I went to Amargosa dunes here in NV with a buddy and his Dad once, Well they forgot the Outer-filters for the Webers so my buddies dad went down the Cat-house about 10 miles away.
He had to pay 20$ for a pair but he got to take them off, He was gone for 3 hours too.

Casey

hill Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:52 am

earthquake wrote:

It depends on where you get the pantyhose, I went to Amargosa dunes here in NV with a buddy and his Dad once, Well they forgot the Outer-filters for the Webers so my buddies dad went down the Cat-house about 10 miles away.
He had to pay 20$ for a pair but he got to take them off, He was gone for 3 hours too.

Casey

Lota traffic on the road that day, eh?

jbbugs Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:31 pm

I have had great luck keeping my idle jets clear be just taking a big finger full of bearing grease and smearing Thick on the rubber base of my air cleaners before installing them on their bases.
Zero clogged idle jets.

Bajaman65 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:31 pm

jbbugs wrote: I have had great luck keeping my idle jets clear be just taking a big finger full of bearing grease and smearing Thick on the rubber base of my air cleaners before installing them on their bases.
Zero clogged idle jets.

And have you done a lot of Off Road ? I am sure your grease works great for you but about 90% of off road people will have an idle jet plugging problem at one time or another. This is just a simple solution to a very common problem. I do not understand why some many people want to argue everything :?

jbbugs Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:27 am

I'm Not arguing anything. Just stating what works well for me. I run an open engine compartment on my roadrace bug, where it sees plenty of dirt/ debris during 24-hour long races. I've also installed a few sets of Jet Doctors on a Few customers cars. They seem to work too. I haven't tried them on my racecar, as I haven't had a need for them.

Greezy Joe Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:01 am

I quess I'm one of them cheap VW Guys, black panty knee high stockings over the air filters, never a plugged jet. Now this is on a cheapie $7,000 stroker. :lol: :lol:

Oil Phil-M Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:10 am

At the same time I got the Doctors I replaced the cheap stamped flexy chrome air filter housings with CB's alloy units and started using a thin layer of wheel bearing grease on the top and bottom of the filter edge where in makes contact with the filter housing. So i cant say which had the biggest effect but clogged idles are a rare occurrence now.