TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Never saw this before on a pressure plate...
gleep_54 Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:33 pm

wavy washers between the pressure plate and flywheel? any input on what this is about???

thanks!
Pat

modok Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 pm

i believe the flywheel depth is supposed to be .830-.835 and disk thickness .....bit hazy but 9mm rings a bell.

I's not supposed to need any adjustment but then again it could also be made adjustable by using different thickness washers.

Might be worth checking the depth and thickness and how the pressure plate sits on there to see if they were doing right or just being odd.

gleep_54 Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:39 pm

will check this in the morning- thanks!

mark tucker Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 pm

I did hear some clutch disc(china)wer too thick.....so.....backyard adjuster??

[email protected] Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:28 pm

It isn't uncommon for drag racers to adjust the clamping force of a pressure plate with shims. I would check the depth of the flywheel to see if its correct, and the washers aren't something trying to fix an incorrectly resurfaced flywheel. I don't have a manual handy, but it sticks in my mind the depth from the pressure plate surface to the clutch disc surface is .827.

vwracerdave Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Flywheel clutch depth is 21mm which equals .827"

gleep_54 Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:36 pm

The washers that were under it are reading .030...- this makes .840, .013 over what stock would be. As long as all works okay, anyone see anything wrong with the set up?

Pat

mcmscott Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 pm

You use shims to adjust "break away" torque, with out measuring this every one is just guessing. When Kennady changed thier pressure plates the depth was all over the board. So it is not a "1 size fits all" thing anymore

modok Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:01 pm

According to the book you should have the flywheel turned to the correct depth. That will be 45$. :wink:

just kidding, put the washers back in there :D

Type 5 Joe Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:39 pm

The Pressure plate is supposed to register in a step in the flywheel.

A loose fit will throw a precision balance job out of whack.

I wouldn't want my pressure plate wobbling around, even on a stock engine.

Do it the right way.